Libertarian nightmare

By Juan Carlos - 09/09/2021 08:00

Today, when I checked on my last payroll, I realized that I pay more in taxes than I do in house bills. FML
I agree, your life sucks 811
You deserved it 108

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yes, because your house bills pay for very basic, cheap stuff like water and electricity. Your taxes pay for roads, airports, hospitals, schools, the police and military, pension and welfare programs, etc. Unless you live in the US of course. Then its mostly just the police and military.

Then you need to move into a bigger house!

Comments

Then you need to move into a bigger house!

Yes, because your house bills pay for very basic, cheap stuff like water and electricity. Your taxes pay for roads, airports, hospitals, schools, the police and military, pension and welfare programs, etc. Unless you live in the US of course. Then its mostly just the police and military.

Yeah, nice inflammatory comment there. Too bad it is utter nonsense and not even remotely close to true. The military in the US is less than 11% of the budget. It also does use less than 50% of the discretionary spending fund usually, but that makes sense as military needs change rapidly. However, that portion of the budget is less than a third of the entire budget. All in all, the military spending in the US is only about 16% of our entire annual spending on average. That will continue to decrease as we pull out of various war zones. Our biggest expenditures are Social Security, Unemployment, and Medicare which add up to a total 60% of our annual budget. Now as far as police go, they are vastly underfunded. Of all local government spending, police account for a mere 9.2%. So perhaps, before you spout some nonsense, do a couple quick Google searches for easy, VERY public information.

1 you missed the joke and 2 the point is still made. for example Canada spends 1.3% of GDP on military. that mean the us spends over 10x more in terms of gdp. now when we look at 1.3 vs 16 can you see how that joke can be made?

I pay more in tax than my mortgage lol... how low is the tax rate wherever you are??

If it makes you feel better. I can add household bills, mortgage, car, insurance and groceries together and it's still less than what I pay in taxes. That's just payroll, it doesn't include tag, gas, sales tax and the many other taxes that are rolled into everyday items.

Cost of living must be insanely low where you live. Or you live in a country that has a very high tax rate. My bills are 2/3 of my income and taxes are about 20%.