By arrow - 23/02/2016 20:39 - United States - Pomona

Today, the officers of my archery club forgot to check if anybody was behind the targets looking for arrows. I got hit in the leg. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 644
You deserved it 2 008

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"I used to be an archer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee."

This sounds like the beginning of a bad Skyrim joke...

Comments

Wow, pretty much one of the first things you learn in the safety part of the lessons, sorry OP!!

Shot in the leg And you're to blame You really have have BAD AIM!

Geckosrock99 33

Looks like you won't be adventuring for a while, OP.

WretchedOwls 11

I mean.. not many people can say they know what it feels like to get shot with an arrow. Could be a good conversation piece.

Whenever I've been to a gun or archery range, a person seeking to enter the firing range must LOUDLY announce their intent. SOP is to then wait for all shooting activity to cease. Once that happens, permission is loudly and verbally given for access. Shooting is not to resume until said person has given notice that he or she is safely off of the range. Were these protocols followed? If they were, then whoever was still shooting while you were on the range needs to be reported. They at least need some safety training as well as a review of the range's policies and rules. Or, if they knew of these safety measures but chose not to follow them, more drastic measures need to be taken. Someone could get sued over this. Worse, someone could be seriously injured or even killed. I'm sorry you were injured; however, I'm glad you got off as easily as you did.

From the FML, it looks like OP was already behind the targets before the shooters entered.

Hi, OP here. Well I actually wrote this FML based on what I assumed happened. One of the club officers came to the hospital to explain what actually happened. Apparently the person who shot me was brand new. They were so excited about doing archery and talking to all the people they forgot the safety information. How? My guess the officers were a bit apathetic with explaining it. Anyway, everybody was off the range so they assumed it was time to shoot again. All the officers were socializing apparently. By the time somebody noticed them, their arrow was at full draw. Some people yelled "CEASE FIRE" and this - amazingly - scared the new student who shot the arrow. It missed the target, and went through the hay into my thigh. They heard my scream, ambulance was called, you can imagine the rest. This new person was forced to return the rented equipment and made to leave. The club adviser is going to decide what to do with them. The way the officers know if anyone is behind the hay is they look for if a person has put their arrows next to the hay. The officers knew I was back there, but new person didn't know this protocol. Should I sue? My parents and I are going to talk to a lawyer. I don't know yet. Also for anybody that cares, the person's bow was ~25 lbs. For those that know archery, you can probably see how this could pass through maybe two hay bales. We were shooting at about 20 yards so the arrow was starting to descend. Funding is tight so there isn't enough money for fresh hay all the time. For those that don't know archery, it's basically one of the weaker bows.

Should you sue shooter? If so, in my opinion, only to recover medical costs (past, present, and estimated future due to injury), lost wages, and just enough punitive that they never get this careless again. If you do, I hope Judge sentences shooter to a rigorous safety class. However, socializing employees should be reported, sued, whatever it takes to make them realize that their jobs need to be taken seriously. This could have ended a lot worse than it did.

Taking an arrow to the knee is actually an old Nordic saying that stood for marriage. It's why men kneel when they propose today. Why were you proposing during archery club? :V

Some what of the same thing happened to me