By anon - 31/01/2016 21:38 - United States

Today, my parents have deliberately ruined my last 2 relationships, because they want me to get back together with my ex simply because he is my son's dad. Apparently, my son needs his father more than I need a man who won't beat me every time he gets drunk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 683
You deserved it 2 064

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're doing the right thing for both you and your son, OP! Stay strong, hopefully your parents will eventually give up, or you will find a relationship that they finally can't ruin!

Keep the relationships on the DL if you can so that you can give your son a better example of what it is to be a man. It takes barely anything to be a 'father' but it takes a lot to be a Dad.

Comments

You're doing the right thing for both you and your son, OP! Stay strong, hopefully your parents will eventually give up, or you will find a relationship that they finally can't ruin!

Unfortunately that may never happen, if they want their daughter to be going out with a woman beater they clearly aren't above ruining a perfectly good guys chances.

Your parents have serious issues OP. Make sure they have no information on nor access to your future boyfriend. Also, explain to your future boyfriend that your parents are insane, just in case. On a side note, kudos to getting out of the abusive relationship in the first place. Marriage isn't always the answer.

I think that now that Op knows that they are actively ruining her relationships it will be harder for them to do so.

Tell them that you want your son to have a real father

Precisely. A father is not rewarded that title, it is earned. By merely ejaculating sperm does not make that boy his son. He doesn't deserve him. OP, at this point I would suggest to not update your parents about your dating life (if it's really that terrible) because you honestly don't need them trying to disrupt your relationships. You deserve better than that.

JohnTheDonJuan 11

I think you may be a little confused about biology... Yes, the simple act of ejaculating does indeed make him the father. Now if you mean, he's not a "dad", that would be more understandable. But biologically speaking, he is the father.

NeonSteps 14

your son? or your sons dad I'm a little confused, could someone explain?

Her ex is the father of her son, so her parents want her to be with only him. However he's a piece of shit so OP is doing the right thing by not being with him.

corky1992 33

I thought she explained it pretty clear..

Your parents need to stop being insensitive and irrational. You deserve someone who'll make you and your son happy. The fact that they want you get back together with your abusive ex is just incomprehensible to me

Schmavid64 13

Not to be rude but are your parents aware of what he did? If they are I think you need to have a long talk with them about why you're never going back to him and that if they keep sabotaging your relationships then you may need to remove yourself from their lives for a little while.

insecurewife07 3

Exactly! I can't imagine they know the full situation... If so they're really shitty parents.

Unfortunately, there are people out there who think this way. For instance, I'm half Italian, and they really like their traditions/religion. Divorce is a sin, and it took a real long time for my Aunty to finally have the courage to face both her abusive husband and her parents. They did come through though, be strong and persistent OP!

There are several people that do not give a shit of their child is being abused. People think that a kid's biological mother and father should be together even if one of them is a piece of shit.

Keep the relationships on the DL if you can so that you can give your son a better example of what it is to be a man. It takes barely anything to be a 'father' but it takes a lot to be a Dad.

Of course including but not not limited to: polos, grilling, cornhole, socks with sandals, and the ever necessary insufferable dad puns

You're doing the right thing OP. Hang in there. Maybe next time you have a relationship keep it behind closed doors for a little bit so that your partner realises who you are and doesn't give up no matter what your parents do. Best of luck!

My sympathies for you OP. Stay strong

Geckosrock99 33

They obviously don't care about your feelings, OP. Whether they know what your ex did or not, what they're doing is incrediblly childish and selfish. In your position, I would cut ties with them. With attitudes like that, they don't deserve to be in your or your son's lives. You deserve happiness, and if that's without your parents, so be it.

Maybe you need to try to cut them out of your life. Not respecting your choices is bad enough, let alone wanting you to be with an abuser. You are doing what's best for both you and your son by not being with him.

Yeah, its an ugly thing to have to say, but if your parents are willing to endanger you like this, you need to just walk away from them. This is abuse, pure and simple. They are taking your control away and putting you in danger to satisfy their own wants. I would say you should see if you can get them into family counseling, but if they want you back with a wife beater, that may be a lost cause. Good luck, OP and remember that you need to protect your son and yourself above anything else.