By anon - 31/01/2016 21:38 - United States

Today, my parents have deliberately ruined my last 2 relationships, because they want me to get back together with my ex simply because he is my son's dad. Apparently, my son needs his father more than I need a man who won't beat me every time he gets drunk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 685
You deserved it 2 065

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're doing the right thing for both you and your son, OP! Stay strong, hopefully your parents will eventually give up, or you will find a relationship that they finally can't ruin!

Keep the relationships on the DL if you can so that you can give your son a better example of what it is to be a man. It takes barely anything to be a 'father' but it takes a lot to be a Dad.

Comments

Tbh if i were you id keep my parents out of my personal life as much as possible from now on. Don't let them know you're dating anyone. Hell if you have to make them think you're lesbian to get them off your ass. Jk about that last bit. Maybe. Seriously though I'm sorry OP that's shitty

Beat your parents for every time he beat you. See if they ask you back to there house.

Do your patents know he was a violent drunk? They need to get their heads straight. You need to have a stern talk with them

Your son certainly doesn't need THAT father, or he'll learn the same bad habits. You're doing right.

Witnessing domestic violence is actually tremendously traumatic for children -- it has the same effects in terms of bad psychological outcomes as if they were abused themselves. You did the right thing by leaving when you could and by staying away from him. If you parents keep sabotaging your chance to actually raise your son in a healthy home, maybe they need to go.

Don't let your parents anywhere near your relationship. Move cities if you have too. Stand your ground and don't let them win. I am glad you had the strength to get out of that awful situation with your ex. You deserve a wonderful relationship and don't let anyone tell you differently

If only your parents valued your well being as much as they pretend to value your child's. It seems more that they can't stand to have you in a happy relationship, if you're not miserable you don't need them as much, they think. This is abusive levels of meddling. Your parents deserve to be screamed at for as long as your lungs can physically handle.

You need to seriously talk to them about that. And congrats on leaving the abusive relationship.

This is how children with an abusive family member learn to become abusive themselves. It's not just the abuser that influences them. It's also the people who take the side of the abuser against all common sense. I was in a similar situation and I haven't spoken to my parents and sister and her husband for over 10 years now because of the drama they caused. My kids are better for it and have grown into decent men - something that likely would not have happened if I had allowed my family to be in their lives.