By anon - 31/01/2016 21:38 - United States

Today, my parents have deliberately ruined my last 2 relationships, because they want me to get back together with my ex simply because he is my son's dad. Apparently, my son needs his father more than I need a man who won't beat me every time he gets drunk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 685
You deserved it 2 065

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're doing the right thing for both you and your son, OP! Stay strong, hopefully your parents will eventually give up, or you will find a relationship that they finally can't ruin!

Keep the relationships on the DL if you can so that you can give your son a better example of what it is to be a man. It takes barely anything to be a 'father' but it takes a lot to be a Dad.

Comments

....I think it's time to cut your ppparents out. I'm sorry they suck.

this is going to go against every other comment on here and probably get down-voted a load. But they've probably done you a favour, if they're not going to stick by you against meddling parents, are they going to stick around when things are really tough? It wouldn't matter what my parents, my fiancee's parents or anyone says about us, were stronger than it The fact you've also said 'need' a man says you're probably getting into relationships for the wrong reasons. You don't 'need' a man, look after your kid, learn to be happy by yourself and the right person will come along (also try explaining to them your parents are nutcases before they get a chance to interfere)

Well said! I was wondering, how does one ruin someone else's relationship, in the first place? If the parents are putting some kind of pressure on you and your SO, keep the distance and don't let them influence your happiness.

I think you may be underestimating how easy it is to scare someone away from a relationship, especially early on. When you're in the early dating stage, you aren't at the "I will weather every storm with you" kind of commitment. Manipulative people can find endless ways to make things go their way. Dropping hints, telling lies, flat-out insults, it's actually pretty easy.

OP didn't say she needs a man. She said she needs a man who doesn't abuse her. There's nothing wrong with wanting to find love, but she needs that person to treat her well.

If she knows that they act like that, why introducing the BFs to them until that "I will weather every storm with you" maturity of relationship has been reached?

They might be finding a way to them rather than op introducing then. They are obvious dead set on this, you guys are really underestimating how far people will go.

If your parents don't understand your problems and still stood by that drunkards side then its time to keep them aside

If I ever had a child and their spouse was abusing them I'd hunt the ****** down and make them wish they'd never been born >:| You did a courageous thing getting away from your ex. A lot of people can't. I don't want children, but it's really depressing to me that some people have children and do shit like this... I know that abusers are often very charismatic to those around them at first, but you know better than your parents what your ex is really like. Never forget that.

corky1992 33

Maybe stop letting your parents know you're in a relationship so they won't ruin it? That's what I would do.

Perhaps it's not that they want you to get back together with your ex, maybe you are just have a poor choice in men.

That was my first thought, too. If she stayed with one abusive partner long enough to have a child with him, it's possible she's falling into that pattern again.

Time to go no contact. If they're seriously that stupid they don't deserve to be in you or your son's life.

yea I guess they don't know what's best.

Sounds to me like you need to get rid of your parents!!

I would stop introducing your new boyfriends to them then. Or shut them out completely until they can learn to let you have a life.