By anon - 31/01/2016 21:38 - United States

Today, my parents have deliberately ruined my last 2 relationships, because they want me to get back together with my ex simply because he is my son's dad. Apparently, my son needs his father more than I need a man who won't beat me every time he gets drunk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 685
You deserved it 2 065

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're doing the right thing for both you and your son, OP! Stay strong, hopefully your parents will eventually give up, or you will find a relationship that they finally can't ruin!

Keep the relationships on the DL if you can so that you can give your son a better example of what it is to be a man. It takes barely anything to be a 'father' but it takes a lot to be a Dad.

Comments

Parents, the people that we look up to, and that are supposed to be smart and rational, are sometimes anything but. Don't let them (or anyone else) pressure you into an abusive relationship, even if for the sake of your child - a violent drunk is not fit to be a father anyways.

I am going through the exact same thing! But I've been with the guy who saved mine and my sons life for over a year, he was there for my sons birth and has protected us since the day we met, but my mother seems to think I should be with the crack head that tried to kill me when I was almost 6 months pregnant ?? parents are great

I understand it'll be difficult but that appears to be another relationship you should stop.

You stayed with your abusive partner long enough to have a child with him and hoped you'd live happily ever after?

I have a solution. Find some rugged looking crackheads, pay them like 100 bucks and tell them to get rid of your ex. Crackheads will do anything for some cash. This of course is a joke but if you use it, I had no legal part for accountability.

OP, there is a difference between dad's and sperm donors. obviously your parents don't realize this...so make them realize it!

Yes. And since she called her child's father a father and not sperm donor, she obviously knows the difference as well.

I haven't spoken to my parents in 8-months. My mother was physically, mentally, and emotionally abusive. When I saw her doing it to my younger sister, I intervened. Her and my stepdad told me that I should leave it alone because that's in the past and I should get over it. Moral of the story: Your parents won't stop doing what they are doing to you. You have to make the change. Sometimes you just have to stop answering their phone calls.