By anon - 31/01/2016 21:38 - United States

Today, my parents have deliberately ruined my last 2 relationships, because they want me to get back together with my ex simply because he is my son's dad. Apparently, my son needs his father more than I need a man who won't beat me every time he gets drunk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 685
You deserved it 2 065

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're doing the right thing for both you and your son, OP! Stay strong, hopefully your parents will eventually give up, or you will find a relationship that they finally can't ruin!

Keep the relationships on the DL if you can so that you can give your son a better example of what it is to be a man. It takes barely anything to be a 'father' but it takes a lot to be a Dad.

Comments

BloodyGlass 10

My father was an abusive asshole who should've been dumped by my mom long ago, but she stayed with him 'for the kids'. Don't let your parents push you around, put your foot down and stand firm, the right guy will come along. :)

rogwest 23

Sounds like it's time to kick your parents out of your life as well…

I'd have a chat with your parents. Sorry that you have a sh**bag of a ex. I am happy to hear that you are trying to raise your son the right way. Keep your head up.

I really hope you sit down and have a talk with your parents about why you'll never go back to him. They shouldn't force you to be with a scumbag like that for your kid's sake.

Honestly, if my parents wanted me with an abusive man, I wouldn't want them around me or my kid. And do they really want their grandson to grow up watching his mum get beaten up? What kind of person would he learn to be? I read a great saying the other day: 'you don't need to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.' Might be time to tell your folks to put their matches away.

Don't introduce the guy to your parents next time! If they want you with some prick who beats you, they don't have any right to be involved in your love life or your own. Do what's best for you and your kid and find someone good for you and your son.

Goblin182 26

Op this may be hard to hear but your kid doesn't need a father that beats you and may beat him and he certainly doesn't need grandparents that will try to shift his mothers decisive authority away from her. If this goes on any longer you will need to distance yourself from your parents.

Your son has a father. He doesn't have a dad. There's a difference. Get a relationship and keep it hidden from your family. You deserve happiness, too, OP.

tell your parents that you want your son to have a mother