By Anonymous - 16/10/2012 01:19 - United States - Evansville

Today, my parents gave me a sock and card for my eighteenth birthday. The card said, "Now that Dobby is free, get out." FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 693
You deserved it 3 931

Same thing different taste

Top comments

randomthing 22

At least they used a good reference, right?

Comments

I absolutely love this. Made my day :P

Haha that seems like a pretty good gift.

Phoenix_10 2

That's actually funny though.. Haha (:

Ranchtastic 4

Totally thought you were going somewhere else with the sock thing...

Mister_Triangle 21

"Now that you're legal, have some safe, consensual fun with your new friend Socklette Johansson"

Trix_Disorder 20

I was sure it was going to be a lack of girlfriend/masturbation joke as well.

Lol...18, I was thinking the same thing, but there wasn't a reference to him being caught with his junk in his sisters bottle of lotion.

mercymedical 6

Yes! Only in Indiana! Hoosier love OP!

These "Only in _________" comments aren't funny.

American pie if you know what I mean :D

im from Indiana too, the home of the Hoosiers. hoos-ur-momma, hoos-ur-daddy

ArielTheMermaid 17

I'm from Indiana. This could have happened anywhere

OhDearBetrayal 25

Eye twitching...must...control...grammar Nazi urges...

zen1979 16

Lmao I have to... YOUR. Pls ppl, it's 2nd, maybe 3rd grade grammar. *sigh* I weep for the future...

nikkon416 13

49- How can you correct some on his/her spelling when you are too lazy to spell the words like "please" and "people"?

zen1979 16

FYI: it's called an abbreviation or 'short form' and for the purposes of communicating via the Internet, is completely acceptable. Incorrect spelling, grammar or vocabulary reflects ignorance.

...nah, shorthand form makes you look stupid regardless of where you use it. I'll use the occasional 'lol', but text speak is like really hot sauce...use sparingly.

BunchieRules 31

And it's also forbidden on this site. It seems nobody reads the commenting rules anymore.

Why is this an FML? I would be rapt if my parents did that.

onorexveritas 23

this is funny and mean at the same time

If it was a fuzzy sock, slide out like a boss.

I will never understand this American mindset that allows parents to sever all ties and throw their child into the world with little or no preparation.

oceanbeauty 17

I really don't understand why you would think Americans do that. I've never met a single person that had been just kicked out without any help. I'm sure OP's patents were not being serious.

I would never kick my kids out of the house (even jokingly). I will gladly keep them in my house with me where I know they are safe until such time as they feel ready to move out on their own.

It's not an American thing. Pretty much every country deems an 18-year-old an adult - parents are not required to support adults anymore. While it isn't the norm anywhere, I'm sure this happens all over the world in some extent.

Because they have a full 18 years of preparation, and American kids seem to be more productive with trial by fire......oh wait that was back in the Soviet Union -.-'

kitkatkit 4

79 - My brother is 35 and sleeps on my mother's couch and he might have a job at McDonalds. He's trying to start a business... Good luck if your kids end up like that.

#36. Not sure? If they weren't serious, why would OP make this an FML? So sorry, OP. Best of luck.

46, I'll believe it when I see you paying for 1-4 50-60 yr old kids who have no lives or jobs of their own & have no preparation for the real world after they put you in a nursing home & can't figure out how to cook, clean or interact with the rest of the world properly.

Lolz not Spain. The average man moves out when he's 35. Then again they do have 27% unemployment, so not much of a model.