By krh14 - 10/02/2015 12:59 - United States - Crofton

Today, my girlfriend was feeling a little down, so I tried to console her. She said she just needed space and I respected that. Then an hour later she was fine, so I asked how she did it. She replied that she talked to her ex for a whole hour. This is a common procedure. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 400
You deserved it 5 199

Same thing different taste

Top comments

She wasn't on the phone with her ex.. It was Jake from State Farm..

OP you need to sit down and talk to her about this since it's bothering you. If she can't come to you to talk about things then what's the point of a relationship? While it's great that she has someone else to talk to, I would think that it would be more of a girlfriend or someone close. Not saying that talking to an ex is a bad idea but when she's opening up it might be a little worrisome and bothersome. BTW, I like the fact that you gave her space. My husband and I had problems where he wanted to jump right in to help and I just needed time to think through things. That's very respectful and I applaud you for that. Again, just sit down and talk to her.

Comments

Break up with her. I know how women work, they want their cake and eat it too ?

You should probably talk to her about this. If she needs to talk to her ex to feel better, rather than her current partner, then there's a problem. Either you need to let her go, or she needs to let them go. Wishing the best for you.

A lot of people are bashing the girlfriend for talking to her ex, or telling OP that she's cheating on him/he needs to leave her/whatever. This might not be the case. Maybe her ex happens to be her best friend, too? Or maybe the relationship is newer, and the girlfriend needed someone who really understood her at that point? Who knows, I'm probably reading too far into FMLs again, but it might not be either party's fault. They might just need to learn how to understand each other/communicate better.

Pikalulz 3

My ex bf sometimes talks to me when he's stressed or having problems (he has a gf) and I used to talk to him when I was. But I was single, so.

My friend is my husband's ex girlfriend. they dated all four years of high school. their families are really close. every now and again she calls him to talk. I trust them completely. She needs someone. Her dad died not too long ago and her mom left long ago. my husband is her ear bc of their history. I say give her benefit of the doubt :)

Pikalulz 3

My ex bf sometimes talks to me when he's stressed or having problems (he has a gf)

It is dump or be dumped... It is going to happen one way or the other. Get ahead of the curve.

All the signs point to a breakup... That, or a long chat with some resolutions.

Don't assume stuff, OP. Communication is the key to any relationship. Just talk with her and let her know. She can explain why its her ex she goes for comfort and it could be an entirely opposite from what you're thinking. Just talk to her causally and calmly and just be like "It just bothers a bit, because I'm your boyfriend and I wanna be there to help you when you need it. I just don't know how your ex can do that and I can't." if she gets offended then there's either assumption by her that you don't trust her or she's trying to hide something. But NEVER assume. Go in open minded and keep yourself calm and relaxed. Don't accuse her of anything and actually let it be known its not that you don't trust her its just you don't see what he can provide that you can't. Best of luck to you, man!