By sneeuwbal - 25/12/2014 18:36 - Belgium - Dilbeek

Today, my girlfriend's dad called to say she wasn't allowed to come with me on a three-day trip on New Year's. He waited until Christmas to say it, even though we booked and paid for the trip nearly a month ago. Now he ruined both holidays. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 948
You deserved it 3 202

Same thing different taste

Top comments

oj101 33

If you're old enough to take a holiday alone together in the first place, then I assume you two are old enough consenting adults, so just ignore the dad and go ahead with the trip. Your relationship is your business only - other people can join you in on the fun if you let them, but they have no right to dismantle or obstruct it.

Well if you are over 18 he can't really tell her what to do.

Comments

Some people seem confused, but I think this fml makes sense. If you are 17 or 18, you are at an age where you might have a job and be responsible enough to plan and pay for a trip, but as long as you live under your parents' roof, you still have to follow their rules. Just because you are legally an adult doesn't exempt you from following the rules of the household.

Call me crazy but the "rules of the household" shouldn't apply when you're not AT the household.

Yea but OP's girlfriend's dad should have told his daughter no before they booked the trip, if he knew about it beforehand.

OP, please give us a follow up. I need to know how old you are

davek 36

If you two are old enough to book and pay for your own holidays, you're old enough to tell him to get bent.

Take her, anyway. You're old enough to pay for a vacation with your own money, certainly she can cut the cord now, if not soon.

Wait for a response before booking YDI.

"He waited until Christmas to say it" - this formulation strongly implies that he was well aware of their plans and probably even gave his consent, only to retract it later. You shouldn't just assume OP and his gf booked this trip behind her father's back, especially when everything points in the other direction.

Defy him and enjoy life. You only live once.

Shouldn't have bought the tickets if her dad didn't give an answer