By sneeuwbal - 25/12/2014 18:36 - Belgium - Dilbeek

Today, my girlfriend's dad called to say she wasn't allowed to come with me on a three-day trip on New Year's. He waited until Christmas to say it, even though we booked and paid for the trip nearly a month ago. Now he ruined both holidays. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 948
You deserved it 3 202

Same thing different taste

Top comments

oj101 33

If you're old enough to take a holiday alone together in the first place, then I assume you two are old enough consenting adults, so just ignore the dad and go ahead with the trip. Your relationship is your business only - other people can join you in on the fun if you let them, but they have no right to dismantle or obstruct it.

Well if you are over 18 he can't really tell her what to do.

Comments

If you can't get a refund, tell him to pay you back or have your girlfriend tell him. You shouldn't be out any money, especially if he knew about it a month ago when you booked it- I am assuming he did.

This requires a follow-up. Like how old is the couple involved, where the dad thinks he can veto the trip?

My stepmother made a big drama and started bitching to my boyfriend's mom about us being too young (I was 19 and he was 21 at the time) when we organised a trip to go to a concert and stay the night in a hotel because there were no late buses home...She was sneaky enough to bitch about to my boyfriend's mother and not say a thing to me! That was nearly 2 years ago and I only found out about it recently...She made a big drama about us moving out together a few months too...It's annoying that I feel like offending people because I'm growing up...

Aaaand that's where you tell that conniving attention ***** where to go. She needs to caaaaalm her tiiiiits.

Yeah, she rang my maternal granny (also behind my back) and bitched about me to her, and thankfully my granny told her to **** way off. My mom is getting really pissed about the way she treats me and bitches about me to family and people she's not involved with and said if she attempted to ring her with a "problem" about me again, she'd show her a problem lol go mom

DogeMan 14

next time he has some thing planned, ruin it for him .

Tsukiyomi 16

hey everyone, OP here. We're both 18 and still live at home, my parents actually booked the trip and would have been joining us (though they wouldn't have paid for her share if she did come). We had booked a seperate room for the two of us, and a month in advance she asked her parents if they were okay with it, to which they replied she was allowed to go if she had decent grades at school. She asked her dad again later if her grades were good enough, and they were, so everything was fine up until a week before we left, as her mother got cold feet and feared we might 'do stuff' on that trip (again, we're both 18...) Going anyway wouldn't have worked because she would most likely get kicked out of the house. Eventually, I spent the night alone in my hotel room, but at least this whole situation didn't ruin our relationship and we're planning to go on a weekend next month to make up for it.