By sneeuwbal - 25/12/2014 18:36 - Belgium - Dilbeek

Today, my girlfriend's dad called to say she wasn't allowed to come with me on a three-day trip on New Year's. He waited until Christmas to say it, even though we booked and paid for the trip nearly a month ago. Now he ruined both holidays. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 948
You deserved it 3 202

Same thing different taste

Top comments

oj101 33

If you're old enough to take a holiday alone together in the first place, then I assume you two are old enough consenting adults, so just ignore the dad and go ahead with the trip. Your relationship is your business only - other people can join you in on the fun if you let them, but they have no right to dismantle or obstruct it.

Well if you are over 18 he can't really tell her what to do.

Comments

Go anyway if everything is booked and paid for

I_eat_hearts17 9

All these answers are proof todays society is a bunch of disrespectful assholes. Whether your 30 or not if you live rent free at your parents house yes you still abide by their rules! Would you expect everyone to tell you to what they are and aren't allowed to do in the house you bought/pay for?

Buying a house does not buy the people in it. The indentured status of minors is revoked when they attain their majority. The paterfamilias no longer has the moral, nor the legal, right to impose his whims on anyone in the household, regardless of their status. A reasonable respect for your host's standards does not include making one a chattel. Someone who expects the same obedience from a 30 year old that they do from a minor child is a "disrespectful asshole" themselves.

soragirlfriend 8

What the actual **** is wrong with you? Yes, the daughter/girlfriend should be respectful while in the house, but the father does not have the right to tell his adult daughter she cannot go on a trip she paid for. You're a **** if you think so, and I hope your kid ignore you and you never see your grandkids.

And you do realize #44 and #45 that if she is being supported by them financially and if she's living in their home, they have every right to kick her out on her ass because she's an "adult." What would she do then? You need to look at every side. Yes, the father is being an asshole, but it could be worse if she decided to defy him.

While I personally think 42 is completely off base, I cannot support the name-calling. That's just childish.

Actually the parents don't "have every right to kick her out on her ass because she's an 'adult.'" Parents are supposed to support their children until the moment the children are able to support themselves. It's in the law. So yes, if the gf decides to take this trip anyway, the father could kick her out, but he'd still have to support her financially. I know this very well, as I've been in a situation myself where my mother kicked me out before I even finished college. And yes, I do live in the same country as OP, so the same laws apply.

cryssycakesx3 22

uh what? if you're 18 your parents have no legal obligation to support you.

#42, I really hope you're not a landlord.

Geckosrock99 33

Tell him the trip is already paid for. If he still refuses, tell him "Too bad." That trip had to be expensive, and he's being an ass if he says no after being told its already paid for.

Knock the dad unconscious, wrap him in a gift and ship him to grandmas house while you go on your trip

Grab your crap and go. Unless you're under 18 you have no reason not to just go and have a good time. Go have fun

Before I say anything, I would like to ask why you people downvote comments that sometimes aren't even offensive? Like 13 and 14? What's wrong with those comments?... anywho. Like many other commenters, I need to know how old you and your girlfriend are, because that matters. If she's underage, then sorry OP. If not, you should go anyway. It'll drive the point across that she and you are grown.

I feel for you op, having an overbearing father like your girlfriend's can be a huge pain in the ass. My dad is the same. For those saying "if she's an adult, then don't listen to him and go anyway," that can be difficult if she's still living with her parents, especially if they're financially supporting her. A lot of parents do the "my house, my rules" thing and don't care if you're in your twenties. :/

No adult should ever accept being treated like that. Nobody will ever give me a curfew or tell me who I can spend time with because I AM AN ADULT. You can still be respectful while asserting yourself, bevause they need to respect you, too. Boundaries are very important, and overprotective parents trying to micromanage their adult children with an authoritarian hand need to be told, quite firmly, to trust that they raised a responsible person and to back off.

momac86 17

If you're old enough to pay for it you're old enough to go... Just tell him to cram it up his mistletoe