By thatsnotmyname - 03/07/2014 03:12 - United States - Calhoun City

Today, my boyfriend of a couple of weeks mixed up my name with his ex wife's name. After he said it, he looked at me and said, "You knew it was going to happen." FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 034
You deserved it 7 799

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It was bound to happen. It's only a couple of weeks. Unless he still has feelings for her I wouldn't worry about it.

Well of course it was going to happen - he was married to her. So he's used to saying that name when he's talking to his significant other - it's habit. And you've only been together a few weeks. If he's constantly saying it or still doing it a couple months down the road, or during sex, then you can worry about it a little. And even if it was during sex - once is a silly mistake - if it keeps happening, then give it a little thought.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I agree #8 I call my wife by my sisters name sometimes because she was the only female besides my mother that I had lived with for more than half of my life. But getting rid of somebody because of a simple mistake is a little bit idiotic. But if I was OP I would think before I spoke and make sure I broke the habit haha.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I see your point now #8. Sorry for being a dick. I'll let myself out.

Alan to be fair... Turning the other cheek might, might have come off as smacking them hard enough to make said cheek red to #1. After all, the bible is defined by how it's interpreted by whomever reads it. But let's not make this religious debate; no one wants that.

It looks like a religious debate is exactly what you want.

#57 No one wants a debate here. People just tend to comment on my name because they think it is funny. I think they're funny. I have not gotten one reply that doesn't say something about Mary, God, or Jesus.

JMichael 25

Someone guaranteed himself a year on the couch.

After a few weeks? Honestly hope they aren't living together after a few weeks.

#43 you'd hope so, but people do seem to be in a hurry to do things these days!

It was bound to happen. It's only a couple of weeks. Unless he still has feelings for her I wouldn't worry about it.

JMichael 25

I hardly think that's an excuse to confuse names. It's not that hard to realize someone isn't someone else.

kyu_Q 19

They have only been together for a short while. It is a simple mistake and does happen.

Most likely OP's boyfriend and his ex were together for a long time, as in many years, and if they have kids together then they still have contact with eachother. It is not hard to understand that he said the wrong name out of habit. He was probably distracted by something and wasn't thinking about what he said. OP's boyfriend could have handled it better though, like for example apologize for it. And try to break the habit.

For his brain, the ex wife's name is still a synonyme for "the person I share my life with". If this slip happened just in the first few weeks, I would rather see it as a compliment because it shows that he subconsciously wants to share his life with the OP. (Yes, it still hurts, of course...)

ChristianH39 30

I do agree it probably was bound to happen eventually, but he still owes her more of an apology than that.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

That's a terrible idea. Such a sorry reason to end a relationship. When the thumbing down of your comment begins, guess what I'm going to say?

30: "You knew that was going to happen" :-)

"You knew it was going to happen." As if that's an acceptable excuse. Or, maybe he's just bad with names.

Well of course it was going to happen - he was married to her. So he's used to saying that name when he's talking to his significant other - it's habit. And you've only been together a few weeks. If he's constantly saying it or still doing it a couple months down the road, or during sex, then you can worry about it a little. And even if it was during sex - once is a silly mistake - if it keeps happening, then give it a little thought.

I read ex girlfriend, but if it's ex wife, then it's kinda understandable if it's all recent :/ hope you guys manage to work through it!:)

It is perfectly understandable - I did it for the first few year of our marriage now and again. I think my wife got called by every ex-girlfriends name I ever had. Thankfully my wife could see the funny side and would just state her own name and make a face and grin. Don't let this stop you from having a relationship if that is whqat you want to do.

Well, we all know who slept on the couch that night...

kyu_Q 19

to the people saying dump him, you are the reason the divorce rate is so high. ready to run off for the slightest thing. It's HUMAN to mess up sometimes and a name slip after a couple weeks is no cause to get rid of who might turn out to be a decent person.

PREACH! God, I feel like everyone expects everyone to be perfect nowadays.