By drymouth - 17/06/2016 23:51 - United States - Berkeley

Today, my boss brought us some small cakes from a recent trip to China. I opened mine and noticed a little foil packet wrapped with the cake, so I thought it was a powdered topping. I had a couple of bites before my coworker told me it was actually a desiccant to keep the cakes fresh. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 723
You deserved it 3 673

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm actually kind of surprised that people don't know what those packets are. Lots of food comes with those little preservative packets in them, and lots of bottled medicines do as well. Heck, I've had shoes that had those tucked inside. I'm not blaming the OP, I'm just genuinely shocked that someone could go through life without running into those. For future reference: if something is sealed, and you don't know what it is- don't open and eat it.

Comments

10/10 lol. Hope nothing too serious comes of it.

I feel like if your coworker knew about this beforehand, they could've given ya a warning. Ya know, a good ole "Don't eat that, it's designed to make your food drier than this joke."

I don't see why this is getting downvoted so much

Well now your mouth is gonna be fresh forever! Just think of all the money you'll save on toothpaste and mouthwash!

Nah, desiccants are designed to keep food dry. More like eternal chapped lips. Would be a definite FYL.

that is why here in India we tend to use thin layer of silver on top of our sweets to keep them preserved which is apparently eatable..

If it's actually silver, it's not good for you to ingest a lot of it. (I really don't think it's actually silver.)

It is real silver leaf, and it's fine. Silver is non reactive in your digestive system. It just goes right through. The only time you'd be in trouble is if you were eating big balls of the stuff and it blocked you up. Silver leaf is thin as tissue paper though.

Being that silver is about $17.50 per ounce right now I'm surprised that is an economical choice of preservative. Granted, that is why silver was the metal (and then plating) of choice well up into the 1950's due to its antimicrobial properties. Silver if still used in making acupuncture needles.

It's usually just used now for decoration, but it was used as a preservative for special items too.

I believe there is more than one type of "silver". People should research stuff first, before they are so quick to put others down and be sarcastic.

But in the slums you have to bathe and clean your clothes in the river that holds your turds :c

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

The same logic can be extended to all foods and to human life itself.

I covered food and human life when I said "all is preservation" in my humorous ramble.

22 he may of mentioned both what milk was meant for and what eggs are, but he also went into flour made from wheat

epicgamer 18

I read caryopsis as carcinogen and thought op was dead.

You're on a roll with all these top comments dude

This is why Kinder eggs are banned in the US. It all makes sense now.

It's actually not. The only real reason that America doesn't have them is choking hazard because of the toys inside.

Those are dangerous to eat. Drink lots of water and consult your doctor.

I'm actually kind of surprised that people don't know what those packets are. Lots of food comes with those little preservative packets in them, and lots of bottled medicines do as well. Heck, I've had shoes that had those tucked inside. I'm not blaming the OP, I'm just genuinely shocked that someone could go through life without running into those. For future reference: if something is sealed, and you don't know what it is- don't open and eat it.

Don't most of them even say NOT FOOD DO NOT EAT all over the packaging? Of course, the warning would probably not be in English this time, but still, it's kind of a no-brainer.

Usually, it comes in a paper or plastic package, but this was wrapped in foil. I see how this could have happened.