By Harry - 13/05/2014 22:37 - United States - Milledgeville

Today, I went to a restaurant with my friend, where my credit card got denied in front of everyone. The staff teased me and made me sit in the restaurant while my friend begged for money outside. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 853
You deserved it 8 300

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You got declined, but your friend has to beg?

So this restaurant lets its staff tease and ridicule in this situation? After being treated like that, I'd be talking to the manager about making the meal free. It's embarrassing enough to get declined; the staff were just being dicks.

Comments

carry a little bit of cash with you. just enough to cover your food

I'm confused. Your card got declined but your friend had to beg for money? Please follow up.

The card didn't work so Ops friend had to beg for money so they could pay their tab. Its not that complicated.

No need to be a dick, 45... It is confusing, if OP was the one who couldn't pay, why weren't they the one begging for money while the friend watched? Why was the friend the one begging for OP?

He might not have been allowed to leave the restaurant?

TheDrifter 23

They lonely didn't trust him not to dine and dash, so his friend was sent to obtain payment while op stayed as collateral. But really, if neither can afford the meal on available funds and it's got to be put on a credit card, they both need to review their budgeting skills.

Yeah but why does the friend have to beg is the question I'm asking. If OPs card was declined then I don't see why the friend has to be the one begging, unless as previously stated the OP wasn't allowed out of the store.

This is specifically why I have two credit cards. One for normal use, the other in case something happens.

I have zero credit cards.. If I don't have money for something I do without or save for it. A back-up card is just asking for more debt than you can afford.

Unless, you know, you use something called self control.

Having a back up card "just incase" is not the definition of self control.

What if you go out into the city and someone steals the money out of your wallet. You might need that "just in case" card for food or taxi. Or if you are on vacation and it happens.

@105 What I meant by 'just in case' is in case there's a mishap that causes your first card to be declined, like the number was stolen, or you forgot to pay your bill on time, because that happens. Not because you were a twat and maxed out your first card. Maybe your skull is too thick to comprehend that?

I personally would never have a credit card. I'm good with money anyway, but my mum is in so much debt from having them I don't see the point in possibly getting into the situation in the first place. Debit card and carry some money on you.

Credit cards are very helpful in building a credit score, which will save you money in the long run with lower interest rates on car and home loans. There are other ways to build your credit score, but as long as you can be responsible with payments (paying off the complete amount on the due date, even) it's an easy way to build credit. At some point in their life, most people experience debt (most people don't save up to buy a house with cash, they take out a mortgage from the bank). In the end, it is about understanding and managing your finances effectively.

Why did u friend beg?dint u have extra surplus not even some 100??

emirie 21

What are you trying to even say

I got this. I've studied their language. yo dawg, wut u sayin? da OP had no $$ so he wuz on lock down. ya dig? OP was collateral, he is no goin no weres w/o payin... Ah shit, my brain, ugh, can only do that for so long.

I can't believe the staff teased you. That is totally unprofessional and uncalled for. I also can't believe that hardly anyone is mentioning the fact these employees teased you. Your card could have been declined for several reasons, not just because you didn't have enough money. Something could have been worked out I'm sure. As for the staff that teased you I seriously think they should be suspended without pay if not fired.

TheDrifter 23

Growing up in a low income area, I have noticed that the people who get declined on credit and have no debit balance, no cash and a friend with them in the same state, 9 times in 10 knew that going in and intended to dine and dash. Here the staff simply detains them at the restaurant or pub until they can get someone there to pay or the police arrive to process them for theft. The only time "I'm so sorry, I'll pay you tomorrow" works is if they knew your name and face before you sat down, and expect to see you tomorrow anyways.

Next time don't go out to eat and pay for everyone if your broke ass can't afford it

yes, because technology is completely hassle free, and cards can never be damaged

You can still run a damaged card. The bank either has it blocked, which only takes a phone call, or there are not enough funds.

atrandom 11

That's not always the case. My card was canceled by the bank one for a slip up. I couldn't reopen it with a call I had to physically go to the bank. I'm just lucky the people trusted I'd come back

@40, depends on how damaged, you can damage a card without knowing to the point of it not working anymore, I know from experience.

snowdreak 12

They have no right to tease you for your card being declined. Everyone has different financial situations and for all they know it could have been a random freeze on your account or a glitch in their system. You should call their human resources dept and report it. Any reputable company should not tolerate such behavior from their staff.

snowdreak 12

I've worked in customer service for 6+ years and behavior like the one in this post was always grounds for immediate termination.