By Harry - 13/05/2014 22:37 - United States - Milledgeville

Today, I went to a restaurant with my friend, where my credit card got denied in front of everyone. The staff teased me and made me sit in the restaurant while my friend begged for money outside. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 855
You deserved it 8 300

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You got declined, but your friend has to beg?

So this restaurant lets its staff tease and ridicule in this situation? After being treated like that, I'd be talking to the manager about making the meal free. It's embarrassing enough to get declined; the staff were just being dicks.

Comments

I can't really feel sorry for you when you went to a restaurant without enough money in your account to pay for your food. You're upset that the restaurant expected you and your friend to get money to pay them? Did you think when your card got declined they'd just shrug and give you your food for free?

It was embarrassing, but you did not deserve the teasing from the staff at the restaurant. I would definitely ask to speak to the manager because really, if the staff is rude to the customers, chances are they would go as far as messing around with people's dishes in the back. As for your friend, he/she deserves another meal (but this time, make sure you have money!) for having to go begging for money. I hope you learned your lesson and that the next time you go out, make sure your card is working or at least carry some cash. If not, have someone go home to get some money, rather than have someone go outside and beg for money.

Only the police can make you "stay" anywhere. It's call unlawful confinement, and you may be able to criminally charge them for it. As far as the outstanding bill goes, there should have been alternatives discussed, such as sending the bill to your home, allowing you to call someone for assistance. Making someone beg for money in order to release you is ILLEGAL. Sure, you should have checked your balance (I have an app for that), but their response was not at all cool. File a police report as soon as you can.

Oh, and before I get any hate, I have worked in the food services industry for 20 years, and yes, I have seen many a dine and dash, and if that was what OP intended, they are either the worst dine and dashers in history, or were genuinely intending to pay their bill - what dine and dasher waits for the check?

justmeCee 16

Calling the police probably would of worked out in the restaurants favour instead of OP, because Op was the one that didn't have money to pay for his meal. He should feel lucky they left the cops out of it because that's opening the door to a whole bunch of other bullshit.

xxxbooxxx 16

shoulda just offered to wash dishes.

justmeCee 16

I doubt it's like the movies or a tv sitcom that you can go eat somewhere without money and then offer to do the dishes. They have hired staff to do that task.

So... None of your friends never thought of or were trustworthy enough to run off and come back with some money..?

zach055 23

According to United States law, a person cannot be jailed for debt unless it is a fine imposed by a court. Since a restaurant is a private business, they have no right to detain you. Here's an idea, you should have called the police and say that you are being held hostage for being poor. Also, by giving you the food before you pay, they are extending you a temporary line of credit during the meal, by giving you the check they are acting as a debt collector and thus have to follow the law, which says that debt collectors may not hold someone against their will. I know the law, I owe $500 to TD Bank and another $500 to Chase, I also owe $800 to Discover, and a bunch of money to magazine companies. I refuse to pay any of these debts, and I'm not in jail or ever been summoned to court for it. All they can legally do is lower your credit score and send you letters, as well as call you. Other than those things, that's it. I have overdrawn every bank account I have ever had and maxed out all of the credit cards I have ever had. I am 21 years old and live a nice life with my parents and they pay for everything. Even if they were to ever kick me out, my backup plan is to go to the many homeless shelters located in my town. I do not have a job because I refuse to be a wage slave. Also, about those maxed out credit cards and overdrawn bank accounts, I used the money to buy real. physical gold, which I can sell to a pawn shop at any time, in case I ever need money for anything. I pay zero taxes do to having no income, and I love the welfare system in this country. I am an atheist, and even I say God Bless America, land of the fool.

uhnevermind 24

People like you are the reason this country's economy is shit. You can't just use other people's money and give nothing in return. Please, no one take his advice.

kotake 7

I mean people are going to say "this is why the spendocrats are wrong" or "this is why republicants need to talk about the issue more" the thing to acknowledge is that this is probably the worst way to live life and he'll probably be paying for it later. He talks as if a homeless shelter is a 5 star hotel, it's not. It's a place that for the most part a lot of homeless people avoid because of the theft and other dangerous activity that occurs there. It's basically only used in case it's raining and someone can't sleep on a bench... He also has no idea of what he's getting himself into. If anyone seriously thinks they can use such a "genius" business strategy of paying full price for gold jewelry at a retail store and then make anything of a profit selling it at a pawn shop just LOL. He probably doesn't have that much money at all, and that's going to HAVE to last him his whole life or till he pays back the debts. Not only that but that credit is gonna follow him his whole life. He's more than likely just some troll trying to politicize this. It's completely unmaintainable in the long-run (the only reason it's maintainable now for him is because parents). Which is true, anyone who usually gains the welfare system does it by unofficially leeching off others (like that one guy fox news popularized a while back who bought lobster on SNAP ate most of his meals at his friends' places and leeched off them). Eventually that leeching's gonna stop and this guy is probably gonna crumble right away when that happens. Assuming, once again, that this isn't a trollpost.

I doubt the entire staff made fun of him. I think OP either just thinks that out of humiliation or added it to his post for pity likes. because without the little part of the staff making fun of him, everyone would vote that he deserved it. Also, if his friend was out begging, that means he couldn't pay either. Usually in that situation the friend pays and makes OP pay back later. OP is a dick because neither could pay but he got to be the one to sit inside while his buddy worked to pay for the food.

I don't know who deserves the FML, your friend or you.