By NotRetarded - 11/04/2009 02:37 - United States

Today, I went to a friend's sweet sixteen. Since I didn't know any else at the party I was really happy when the mother told me she sat me next to someone she thought I would have a lot in common with. He ended up being mentally challenged and talked to a sock puppet the whole party. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 119
You deserved it 3 864

Same thing different taste

Top comments

#3 was clearly the one sitting next to the OP.

Sock puppets are quite talkative... Esp ones with googly eyes

Comments

ciaomanhattan 0

Seriously, this is not that big of a deal. You could've been the bigger person and actually tried to be nice to the guy. Besides, you think your life is so screwed? Imagine all the struggles and challenges he has to go through.

well....did u have anything in common with him??..

What was a mentally handicapped person doing at a Sweet 16?

cbad09girl 0

Do you know who also complained about the mentally handicapped? Hitler. While you thought that mother compared you to a person with a disability i compare you and all the others, who commented implying that being placed next to a person with a disability is so awful, to Hitler. And dont say that you did this out of boredom, because i dont believe that for a second. By the way, everyone who implied how awful it must be to sit next to someone with a disibility in their comments, I just reported your post as abuse. Also i would like to thank all of those who commented and stood up for those who can't stand up for themselves. As a Special Needs teacher and a sister to someone with a disability, I honestly and truly thank you:]

#27: Sweet 16 is just another Virginity celebration where everyone gets to ignore the girl and just pay homage to her "pure" ******.

fake. the sock puppet bit was just a little over the top.

ThatGuyOneNine 0

Ok, I kno its not the kids fault for being mentally handicapped. However, it is funny that she supposidly said that he had something in common with him.

random_thought 0

she probably just didn't want him to feel left out and set you up with him so you both wouldn't be outsiders. don't take everything so personally!

I think it is appalling that you found being seated next to somebody with special needs worthy of fml. And to everyone who thinks the word "retard" is still socially acceptable, please take the time to educate yourselves, because it is not ok to use that word to identify somebody. I have spent a great deal of time working with, and building friendships with individuals with special needs and they are some of the greatest people I have ever met. Maybe you should step out of your comfort zone and see what you are missing. Put yourself in the shoes of the boy the mom sat you next to, think about the actual issues he has to deal with everyday, and will have to his entire life, and then maybe you will reconsider your outlook on the situation. I feel sorry for you, you had the opportunity to meet a new person, and on the chance to make somebody else just a little happier, and you passed it up, if you have any reason to complain about the situation, that is it.

i would be extremely uncomfortable and offended.. i loathe having to interact with those who have mental retardation.. if i was his mother i would have been in denial all my life.. it fills me with disgust to think that your friends mother would do that to you, for i know that it is not fun, and almost painful, to have to talk to someone who is on a lower mental level than your own.. i hope you dont associate yourself with your friends mother any more, but keep your friendship alive :D friends are always a good thing to have!