By Misunderstood Waitress - 06/11/2012 22:37 - United States

Today, I was waitressing for a huge family. Their bill was $750. Excited about the tip, I was shocked to see only $0.50. As they were leaving, I threw the two whole quarters at their heads. Guess who also got fired today. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 731
You deserved it 49 821

Same thing different taste

Top comments

secretsymbiote21 5

they probably should've left a better tip, but at the same time you can't throw quarters at a customers head and not expect to be fired.

Helldemon 32

For them to leave only 50 cents it was clearly as an insult to the waitress imo.

Comments

My friend always used the line, "I noticed you only gave me such and such small tip, is there something I could've done to improve service?" It draws attention to the small tip, while allowing you to learn how to better perform your job.

Nobody told him "no" and walked away yet?

OhDearBetrayal 25

If a waiter said that to me I would definitely not be coming back there. Not because of a small tip (though I am notorious for doing that, only because I'm on a budget and only a few paychecks away from being flat out broke) but because of the confrontation.

amayasoma 19

73- All the waiter is doing is basically asking input on his service. I seee nothing wrong with a waiter asking. Plus, this does bring notice just incase they thought it was included in the bill.

86 - no that's not all the waiter is doing. It is a shame tactic that should not be tolerated. There is no reason to bring attention to the amount of the tip. If their friend really wanted to improve their service all they would say is "Thank you for your business tonight I hope you had great service and would appreciate any input you may have so I can improve to better your next visit with us"

73- If you're "only a few paychecks" from being broke maybe you should be making your own food at home to save money instead of stiffing servers.

agonydrum 7

That is an awesome idea because it is a shame tactic, I used to be a server and I hated all those fat old cheap bastards that came into the restaurant, always changing their minds and wondering why food takes longer than 20 seconds to cook, but it's a job so I forced out a smile and did the dance, anyone who doesn't tip or purposefully tips low like those people did shouldn't be going out to eat they should go **** themselves, although throwing things is a bit childish

msjoyfull84 0

My staff will come to me with a bad tip and I'll go to the table and ask if something wrong with the service, a couple times there was and I trained them for better service. Bottom line my guests feel like they're getting VIP service and my staff gets better at serving.

Thizzkidsgotgame 7

Idk if anyones sai this yet, but umm.. Auto Grat??? Parties of six or more are supposed to have that option to avoid situations like this....

sukiboo 3

Really? Cause I am way closer than a few and its due to major illness that prohibits ME from currently working and the $ my spouse makes in the Navy doesn't even equate what OP makes hourly, in situations where his life is on the line constantly. Everyday consists of worry and stress but based on your statement we don't deserve to ever go out but should keep ourselves home and cook? I don't recall there being mention that customers were broke anyway. Are you suggesting the possibility is so far fetched that OP DESERVED that amount because she only brought out the food and nothing more? A tip is a token of gratitude given to a person who went above what the basic duties of their job requirements called for. If you are a waitress and I am at an establishment where u work and all u do is only what is required then u are still making an minimum of $7.25 as mandated by federal law. Someone on here please tell me when it was that our society became so entitled that people want to be given extra but not do anything for it??

uzworm 4

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that you didn't provide very good service?

$750.? They most likely thought the tip would be included. Why wouldn't you include it? Many businesses allow you to-- as long as the party knows and isn't tricked into double tipping.

Why would they leave her two quarters if they thought the tip was included??

if you figure out some math, a 15% gratuity which should be included in the bill comes out to $112.50, the tip was probably payed with bill. To keep all numbers to total $860, they probably put the $0.50 on the table. The waitress also probably overreacted before looking closely at things, way to go dummy!!

msjoyfull84 0

It usually states that you were automatically tipped on a bill that was auto-gratted. Some people will still leave 10% on a auto-gratted bill for really great service.

TweetAnne 13

YDI, violence is never the answer. They deserve it too for being such inconsiderate a**holes.

so violence is never the answer but they deserved violence because they're assholes?

On one hand, I understand - I have been really angry when I served a Spanish couple and their English was worse than my Spanish, so I did my best to use their language, and afterwards they left me only 7p... Tips really are quite a substantial part o waitress salary. On the other hand, though... Serious overreaction.

I've been a waitress before and got snubbed on a tip because I didn't offer them coffee. At a steakhouse. At 7 pm. So I know how much of it sucks but you didn't need to throw the quarters at them. If it were me, I'd talk to the boss and ask that a tip automatically be added to large parties. A lot of restaurants do it.

They may have been from Europe where tipping is not the usual. But most likely, tips are sometimes added to the check for large groups. Maybe this is what they thought. Either way, bad behavior was uncalled for here. Sorry OP, learn from this lesson.

That's true. If they weren't American, they might not have understood the tipping system.

echosaints 5

Well throwing your tip at them isn't gonna get u a better tip.

Reality_bites 14

Agreed #9. Not to mention what the other customers who saw the assault now think about the restaurant. Can the OP guarantee that those customers will be back after witnessing that? I would have fired the OP's arse too. Not only did they behave childishly, they also made it harder for the other waitresses that work there to get their tips too - regular customers = potentially regular tips.

MsMourningStar 22

Usually they automatically take out fifteen percent as a tip for groups that large. And that is a great tip.