By littlekellilee - 16/09/2016 04:27 - Canada

Today, I was told I have narcolepsy, and I've it for a year and a half. When asked why I didn't go to a doctor before, I answered that I'd always assumed it was a normal adult thing to fall asleep randomly because of how everyone says they're always exhausted. Apparently not. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 769
You deserved it 1 520

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well now you know and knowing is half the battle! But in all seriousness, it's good you went in, so they can help. Would be terrible to randomly fall asleep at the wheel of a car.

Comments

Well now you know and knowing is half the battle! But in all seriousness, it's good you went in, so they can help. Would be terrible to randomly fall asleep at the wheel of a car.

RpiesSPIES 27
Wizardo 33

Sounds like your internal clock keeps hitting the snooze button.

Cow_Girl_Lilly 24

It's good you found out before something worse could happen.

I don't know whether to laugh or feel bad for the person...

I'm surprised your friends or family didn't tell you that wasn't normal?

That's what I'm wondering, too. And when OP noticed many others weren't randomly falling asleep wouldn't that make them curious?

A lot of people, friends and family included, just don't know what to look for, and can actually be very cruel and unsupportive, even after an official diagnosis. Being exhausted and falling asleep is often seen as being lazy and not managing your sleep routine correctly. It's looked at as the individual's fault, instead of there being an actual medical problem, even when you're uncontrollably and randomly falling asleep. If people don't experience it themselves, a lot of the time they just don't understand and are therefore unsympathetic, they think you're exaggerating. Tiredness and exhaustion is looked at as a character flaw, instead of what it's actually a sign of, which is lack of sleep. This needs to change.

my coworkers used to think i was narcoleptic because i would pass out in the company trucks within minutes of heading to site

But we all know you were just trying to get out of working.

sometimes the job is over 4 hours away. that's a long time to stay awake doing nothing

Hey, I have that too. I had the symptoms for 2yrs before being diagnosed as well because of similar reasons. I was a teen when it started too, so a lot of doctors would brush off my exhaustion as "oh, she's just a teenager, she's supposed to be more tired, it's normal." It isn't normal, a narcoleptic's exhaustion/sleep attacks are equivalent to a normal person going 2-3 days without sleep and are impossible to fight or prevent. It's a hard disorder to diagnose if you don't know a lot about it, and aren't looking for it. I can tell you that it gets a lot better after your diagnosis, finally having something that explains what you're going through is very relieving. Finding the right meds is helpful too, some people even go without meds as well. The real importance is sleep schedule, don't push yourself, sleep is more important for us than it is for anyone else. If you want anymore information, there's lots of support groups on the internet and Facebook that are really helpful.

Well, now you know that assumptions makes an ass out of you and me.

i envy you, its 5am and i still cant fall asleep -_-

Narcoleptics actually often experience insomnia as well, especially at night because we get a lot of REM sleep in the daytime from the sleep attacks. The sleep attacks aren't true sleeping, we don't go through the normal sleep cycle, just straight to REM sleep (it's the reason we pass out suddenly) which provides no restful, refreshing sleep. After the attack, we will still wake up exhausted. When I was undiagnosed, I was lucky if I'd get 2-3hrs of sleep at night, because a lot of the time I wouldn't get any sleep at all. So we actually know how you feel, insomnia is not fun.

Same here, took 5 years to get a diagnosis. My college gpa suffered.