By wolfwolfy - 13/03/2010 07:18 - Canada

Today, I was on a first date. When the bill came, he refused to pay for my $6 salad. I had to go ATM-hunting to pay for my $6 salad. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 079
You deserved it 13 299

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Never expect anything on a first date.....duh

Why do you expect the guy to pay on the first date? You obviously had no intend of paying, so you left your money home in case he did not pay for you. But boohoo he didn't anyway. Also, you sound like a girl that only orders a salad and then eats half the food of other peoples plates.

Comments

Also, there might be a REASON why he refused to pay. FML's tend to be written in benefit of the OP.

that's what u get for ordering a salad. I hate when u take a girl out to eat and she orders a salad

I took a girl out and she wanted pop and popcorn.. so I got some... she didn't even touch it. If you're going out to DINNER ... plan to EAT!

LOL - Plan to eat!! :-> I took a girl out for her birthday once, so I fully expected to pay. She took full advantage and ordered two entrees!!! The bill was $80 and I had only $25 of it. Then she had the nerve to say (she looked at the bill) "I know I didn't eat that damn much!" I can laugh about it now!!!!

HeyyTonie 0

YDI. It's 2010. It would be nice if the man paid for the date, but you shouldn't EXPECT it. My boyfriend pays for me, but I ALWAYS have money to cover my meal.

mirkayscar 0

I have been on plenty dates and EVERYTIME the guy has paid. If he asks me out and can't pay, I gone!!! I am a hard working girl who supports a child all alone at age 23 and on any given day I would be able to afford a two person dinner, if I am tryig to date a guy, he better be able to do the same! I don't care if it's 1950 like ^^^ said or 2010, ask a girl out, YOU PAY!

HeyyTonie 0

But why do you think it should be that way? I honestly feel that both parties should pay for their meal. I actually put up a mini fight whenever he wants to pay for a meal. That is probably because the way I was raised, "never let someone else take care of you when you are capable of taking care of yourself". But kudos, mirkayscar, for being able to support yourself and your child (and cover the other person's meal).

#67 A 23 year old single mom, probably working full time, and too young to have a specialized education. Yep, I'm sure you are a good person to take life lessons from.

letitbe56 0

It would be more egalitarian, if you have financial concerns, to suggest a restaurant within your price range, or to suggest a date other than dinner (a bike ride, a walk in the park, even a picnic--or coffee if it's winter/you're not feeling creative). That way you can still take the responsibility of at least covering your half of the date. A lot of guys will appreciate your willingness to do so or even respect you more for it. If you're a poor single mom, you're not exactly a catch (sorry, I know it's a tough gig, but it's true) so you should be willing to earn respect as opposed to just demanding it.

dannyfont 5

is 6$ a lot of money, I am not in USA but RSA

#69, it's not a lot of money. But OP is cheap.

letitbe56 0

Google can be used as a currency converter. I typed in "6 USD in ZAR" and this was the result: 6 U.S. dollars = 44.3941311 South African rands

You should have atleast had SOME money on you. Though, I think it was really rude of him to make you go look for an ATM :/

mirkayscar 0

*** that should say 1st dates! They should pay on first dates. I totally agree if you go out for many it should be split.

HeyyTonie 0

OH! Alright, then! My previous comment to you doesn't really apply that much anymore. I was honestly thinking about dates in general, not first dates. My fault.

mirkayscar 0

and no, most people have $6 in change in the bottom of thier purse, pockets!! I think my 4 year old has more than that in his wallet as we speak

YDI, firstly for expecting him to pay and not bothering to take any money with you just in case, and secondly for ordering a salad. I don't know a single guy that likes to watch a girl just picking at leaves when they eat out, rather than eating proper food.

I can't say I've had a girl just order salad... but it's about the same as taking out someone and they order water... or say they ate before the date. We aren't going to think you're fat if you order a normal meal. That's nice that you're trying to order small quantities to look out for the bill... but if we took you out to eat.. EAT.

77 - One who doesn't have enough to pay an extra $6 :-) She may have just been surprised that the place didn't take credit cards. She may have been fully prepared to pay (with credit), but got blown out of the water by the lack of cash.