By those_allergies - 12/05/2013 05:20 - United States - Bend

Today, I was eating a mystery flavored candy and I had an allergic reaction. Not only did I have to go to the hospital because my throat swelled up, but I still don't know what I'm allergic to. FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 313
You deserved it 4 320

Same thing different taste

Top comments

miasaur 11

go to the doc for allergy testing

Comments

blackman100 20

Yet another short, meaningless comment in a desperate attempt for first.

I watched a documentory on candy (as sad as that is) a while back. Apparently, when making candy they use only one machine and make whole batches of a single flavor at a time. Back in the day, they would make a batch of orange candies, then shut down the factory, clean all the machines and crap, open the factory, then start making lemon candies. Now one company decided to be resourceful and just keep the machines going without cleaning the left over orange candies out. This produced a weird mix of two flavors, in this case orange and lemon. They decided to name it mystery flavor instead of throwing it all away. Now we know your allergy is a mix of two flavors. Eat all the lollipops and see which one kills you I guess. By the way I used orange and lemon only because they are my favorite, it could be any two flavors really.

kotana191 8

Go back to wherever you bought the candy and ask them what flavor it is.

thepersonyouknow 9
Corrupt_waffles 13

Or maybe it really was "mystery flavored", like in those assorted bags and there will be a few candies that have question marks on the wrapper.

That might not help. With dum-dums, for example, they just throw whatever is leftover in the "mystery flavor" vat, so it's always a mix of random flavors.

miasaur 11

go to the doc for allergy testing

or just call the Customer Service line on the candy wrapper for product information, in case OP had prior allergies

Although probably necessary, allergy testing when you have no clue what the allergy is is an extremely long, painful and annoying process. I would try almost anything else, including narrowing down ingredients through customer service, before subjecting myself to that.

When it comes to your throat closing up, I think I'd take the pain. It's better then being dead. The second reaction is usually stronger then the first.

But the ingredient could pop up in something else Op eats. Avoiding an allergy you don't know is like trying to defend against an invisible assailant. It could be anywhere!

Why is this thumbed down? OP shouldn't really buy the candy again.

Well, you could call the company and find out if you truly wanted.

I think as a medical precaution, it'd be a good idea.

Mystery flavoured candy? Yeah, I would stay away from those. They sound a bit suspicious.

Usually, such as with dum dums, they're just one of the existing flavors, but unlabeled, or, such as with air heads, a blend of existing flavors. So I don't think that it's generally sketchy, but I guess it isn't a good idea for someone with food allergies to eat. However, would someone with a fruit allergy actually react to a candy flavored after that fruit? I'm pretty sure they usually flavor it with chemicals that simulate the taste of the fruit, and not the fruit itself, no?

50- With Dum Dums, the mystery flavored are the lollipops produced in a machine between flavors. Instead of cleaning the machine, they just run a small batch with a small bit of the old flavor mixed with a small bit of the new flavor, so that when they label the next batch, it's almost entirely that flavor with little residue from whatever was in the machine previously.

RpiesSPIES 27

Does that apply to Air Heads as well? I'm perturbed :(

With fruit allergies, it's generally not the actual fruit that one is allergic to, but rather the persticides that are used on the fruit. It makes it a pain in the ass avoiding it. :( I'm allergic to "fruits and vegetables". Basically, just a few pesticides, but it's easier to say I'm allergic to the food rather than explain the pesticide part. So it wouldn't show up in candy such as air heads or dumdums.

IHeartBlueJay 14

Try calling the candy company and reporting your reaction. They should be able to tell you the ingredients

Get a doctor named after a noun to figure out the mystery for you. Just remember, he'll probably be antisocial and not to talk to you til you're almost dying, then he'll bring you back from the gates of hell with a long explanation of what you're allergic to and how he found that out.

If that were true OP would have died during the events of this FML. The mystery of what they're allergic to would have killed them.

The mystery flavors are usually a mix of whatever they have left over. There are several other flavors you shouldn't eat either, in this case.

Yep! (: That's what those "Dum-dum" lollipops candies with the question marks are. A mix of the left over flavours in the between stage.(: I love guessing those, as long as it's not half of that yucky buttered popcorn one. :P