By Fredgruff - 09/01/2010 13:48 - United Kingdom

Today, I was at a band practice. The band was talking to each other with language like "cadence", "resolution" and "consecutive fifths". When they spoke to me, they used terms like "tick", "bong", "ticky bong"; and "bongy tick". Musically, I feel like a baboon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 475
You deserved it 6 816

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like you're a drummer. To be honest, it's probably because your bandmates don't know percussive technical terms. And even if they did, onomatopoeia is still the best way to describe what you mean when it comes to drums. FYL if you're not a drummer.

when i read this i thought it said sticky dongs.

Comments

Logica 0

Fine, a better example since I don't play piano myself: A bass player learning sorprano clef. Useless.

loveofmusic 0

take a music theory class. you learn tons of terms in that class

Wormfood 0

Funny how a lot of musicians rip on drummers, but not as funny as watching them try and play the drums. YDI though for not knowing musical theory, just because (I presume) you're a percussionist doesn't give you an excuse; if you learn it, you can start looking down on your band mates, I bet they know **** all about percussion.

PutDownTheGun 0

Judging by the post and discussion, I'd have to think you're a percussionist, in which case those terms are irrelevant to you. However, percussion terminology is also irrelevant to them. In both cases, knowledge of the other's terminology is like a trumpet player learning bass clef: absolutely useless. I'm primarily a trumpet player, though I play some trombone and a bit of percussion in a pinch. When I was selected as an emergency percussionist back in high school band, I watched a bunch of people who were skilled with their respective instruments try to fill in on percussion and fail miserably because they thought it would be easy.

Learn the talk so you can walk the walk. Until then, YDI.

@ #55...a cadence is definitely not the beat. it's where you take the dominant note of a scale, build a major triad, invert it twice, then play it with the dominant note. then you do the same with the tonic of the scale, but only invert it once. but enough of that...OP are you by any chance a ginger??

Huh? No. A cadence is what occurs at the end of a phrase. There are many different types of cadence (plagal, authentic, deceptive, half, etc), so I don't know what you're going on about here.