By Fredgruff - 09/01/2010 13:48 - United Kingdom

Today, I was at a band practice. The band was talking to each other with language like "cadence", "resolution" and "consecutive fifths". When they spoke to me, they used terms like "tick", "bong", "ticky bong"; and "bongy tick". Musically, I feel like a baboon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 475
You deserved it 6 816

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like you're a drummer. To be honest, it's probably because your bandmates don't know percussive technical terms. And even if they did, onomatopoeia is still the best way to describe what you mean when it comes to drums. FYL if you're not a drummer.

when i read this i thought it said sticky dongs.

Comments

Logica 0

Because people totally have Google during band practice.

boatkicker 4

One would assume that being in a band, would mean knowing who to play ones instrument, which would mean that they know the relevant musical terms.

Take it from another drummer: that's what other musicians tend to do. And yes, it sucks - but don't take it personally. Usually, it means that they don't have a clue how to express rhythmic notation, which makes them more stupid than you.

fellow drummer? haha it's easier that way anyway!

xllamax 0

Hearing bawwww bawww in different tones when you play bass is annoying, it must be the same with drummers.

That happened to me when I took band..ALL the time. Could barely read my music, which is why I don't take band anymore. Did the band a favour...but if you are like me and don't play drums and can't make sense of the lines and such, you should quit too.

Logica 0

Pretty sure that percussion requires no knowledge of cadences, unless it's the xylophone family. Same with resolutions and consecutive fifths. It's like asking the rest of the band to learn all the percussion terms. It'd be akin to a piano player learning tenor clef.

Erindub 0

Well the world is your freakin oyster sweetheart. Grab a book and teach yourself kiddo! Theres also always Google. Not knowing that isn't the issue, not WANTING to know, that is the issue.