By Fredgruff - 09/01/2010 13:48 - United Kingdom

Today, I was at a band practice. The band was talking to each other with language like "cadence", "resolution" and "consecutive fifths". When they spoke to me, they used terms like "tick", "bong", "ticky bong"; and "bongy tick". Musically, I feel like a baboon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 475
You deserved it 6 816

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like you're a drummer. To be honest, it's probably because your bandmates don't know percussive technical terms. And even if they did, onomatopoeia is still the best way to describe what you mean when it comes to drums. FYL if you're not a drummer.

when i read this i thought it said sticky dongs.

Comments

form your own band thats what i did. You don't need to know music theory. Thats just for douches.

lovethelife_fml 0

They aren't making fun of you at all. Resolution is usually volume of a peice of music, and a cadence is a peice only played by a drumline... the sounds your making are just ways to verbolize a rythm like saying "one-e-+-uh" for 4 sixteenth notes or "tri-ple-uh" for triplets. It's just your directors way to help anyone. 

littlelemur 2

Ok resolution is definitely not volume. Cadence *can* be a piece of music played by drummers, but probably not the case here. You're thinking of "dynamics" when it comes to volume.

Or a better comparison would be expecting the rest of the band to know what a flam, paradiddle, ruff, drag and ratamacue are.

littlelemur 2

You should hear the kind of terminology that comes from professors with doctorates in music theory. "Tiggidy bumps" and "geudges" are just a couple examples...

agent47crows 0

Aww, don't feel bad. I have no idea what the hell the music teacher talks about, yet I can shred and write songs.

let me guess.. you play drums in a metal/hardcore band full of 15-19 year-olds.

thaiguy20fromla 0

If you're a drummer, YDI for sucking so much for being the tick. If you're not, you're pretty much effed

In defense of drummers everywhere: anyone saying drums suck is an idiot :) most music wouldn't work without them and drums are hard to play. I don't play drums i opted for the easier option of Bass, plus it sounds nice :D All that's irrelevant but oh well what i really wanted to say was: don't be so hard on yourself, sounds like they were just messing around from the jokey names they used..

Chantalasaurus 0
Brittany_Mo 0

You know what? I was in marching band and that still doesn't make sense to me. I know what cadence and the other group of words is.. but wtf are you talking about tick and bong? Did they think you were inept or something? dumb..just...dumb...