By Fredgruff - 09/01/2010 13:48 - United Kingdom

Today, I was at a band practice. The band was talking to each other with language like "cadence", "resolution" and "consecutive fifths". When they spoke to me, they used terms like "tick", "bong", "ticky bong"; and "bongy tick". Musically, I feel like a baboon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 474
You deserved it 6 816

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like you're a drummer. To be honest, it's probably because your bandmates don't know percussive technical terms. And even if they did, onomatopoeia is still the best way to describe what you mean when it comes to drums. FYL if you're not a drummer.

when i read this i thought it said sticky dongs.

Comments

ensemble_coeur 0

what happened to my other comment? I can't see it anymore!

020266t 5

*Coughs* Comment Moderated *Coughs again"

Are you a drummer? Cause if you are it's fine, the drummer in my band can't even read music lol

MF12 0

he probably means concert band not like a band with a bass electric guitar singer drums whatever

definately means concert band if theyre talking in cadences and consecutive fifths :P meh, you must've done something to warrant them using terminology like that with you. YDI, but it still sucks.

It could be concert band, but in my band we have all taken music theory classes together. So we tend to communicate using those kind of terms.

Dyz 0

Don't feel bad man. They're probably just teasing. I'm the pit section leader in my band and have to teach like 5 kids how to play xylophone and bells and whatnot. I can't even read music or play those instruments, so they pretty much teach me.

how are you a section leader of an instrument you can't play or read music for?

It happens, if you're good at what you do, don't let that little detail bother you. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I'm a drummer, I don't play any other instrument properly but I understand all those terms, for those bashing drummers :) And I'm one of the better sheet music readers as well. Drummers aren't idiots at music!

1010011010 0

YDI for being a tic box. Now stop screwing up and march/play correctly, you tic...