By mee - 02/01/2016 08:25 - United States - Opelousas

Today, I visited my boyfriend's uncle's house for a party. His 8 year-old cousin started asking if I like penis, so my reaction was to laugh, spitting my drink on her and her new dress. She can't pronounce peanuts, and I can't visit anymore. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 395
You deserved it 3 817

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Honest mistake. Kids say the funniest things some times and it catches you off guard.

Comments

legendof90 14

Obviously the parents are super sensitive to the child's speech issue. I would apologize simply and leave it at that. If they make too big a deal out of it you're better off not going there and it's worse for the poor kid. I'm curious, what does your boyfriend say and what was his reaction

It's an honest mistake but the parents should have been more understanding. My daughter had trouble pronouncing some words, especially those with 2 or more syllables such as peanuts. I got her to treat it as two words, she could pronounce pea and nuts separately but putting them together she got tongue tied so I got her to say it as two words. It wasn't long before she naturally said them properly.

My brother would say 'dickless' rather than ridiculous. Instead of being sensitive and flipping out over misunderstandings, my mom would tell him to tell his grandpa Dick he's ridiculous. Kids mispronounce things, sometimes they sound very bad. Yeah, you should clarify what they were saying but laughing like that is completely justified.

schreibergx93 19

That's pretty short of character on your cousins parents part if they didn't understand your reaction was completely logical to a question like that from an 8 year old. Kids are really smart nowadays questions like that are apparently normal.

Banning someone from a household for something like this, that was clearly an accident is overkill. Worst case, they should have asked OP to pay for either the laundering of the dress or for a replacement, instead of essentially throwing a tantrum. If OP didn't apologize or was asked to pay for washing or a replacement and refused responsibility, I could understand, but this doesn't sound like it even got far enough for OP to apologize. Telling someone they aren't allowed to come to future events at a location because of a harmless misunderstanding? Rude and, to me, implies that they already disliked OP for dating their relative.

I don't think the issue is that she misheard...but that she spat her drink out on her.

Witch_E_Poo 14

Sounds like you accidently escaped a lot of future family drama! Run....run

That family clearly has no sense of humour