By Anonymous - 24/09/2009 14:34 - United States

Today, I told my dad that I have a very serious drinking problem and that I need to go to rehab because I can't stop on my own. He told me that I just need to make new friends and suggested I join a sorority. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 488
You deserved it 6 510

Same thing different taste

Top comments

if you are old enough to drink, you are old enough to check yourself into rehab

I have never seen such terrible advice for such a serious concern. Not trying to step on toes and may catch flak for the post, but alcoholism is a medically defined disease. It is beyond just drinking heavily. And while it may be fun in college, by the time you reach midlife, it is pure hell. For the poster, there are great facilities in Kansas. If this really is a problem for you that you can't just stop, continue the initiative, call them. I promise you, you won't regret it later when you look back on this. -CltCounselor

Comments

YDI for not knowing what a serious drinking problem is. I find that the people who say they need help are always the people who don't actually need it. And seriously, if you can admit you "have a problem" then you can fix it yourself without rehab. Btw, your dad sounds great and it must suck for him to have you as a daughter.

I second this. People with serious addictions don't just wake up and say they need help. People who crave drama and attention, however, do.

mcxhunni 0

This is a ridiculous statement. My father is a recovering alcoholic, he begged for help. Apparently you don't know anyone who has ever been addicted to alcohol. Lastly I'm sure your parents are horrified they have offspring that would judge some one so critically for getting help.

That's complete bullshit. I've been in recovery for a little over two years now and I got to the point where I was in desperate need of help and knew I needed it and couldn't do it on my own. I wasn't seeking attention or drama, I was seeking pure help to change my life around. Have you ever suffered from addiction or alcoholism? If you haven't, I advise you watch how you phrase things since this is very offensive and belittling to those, like me, who have experienced it first hand and lived to share their story. This persons father is inconsiderate and an asshole.

Your dad is a raging drunk who thinks you're a lightweight. He wants you to join a sorority so you can learn what a real drinking problem is like. Then, you can decide to go to rehab or become your dad's drinking buddy. (If you are thinking of the latter, don't read recent articles about Mackenzie Phillips.)

I think she'd be the last FML ever. Who could follow: Today, I was supposed to get married. Instead, my dad and I took a bunch of pills and ******. FML? Do you want to put your underpaid babysitter, indeterminate gender, parking ticket story after that?

JessiLynn5377 0

Ever hear of a DRY sorority? Well they do exist as I am in one. Been in one for the past five years. Its a great way to meet new people and have a wonderful support system. Sucks that people have such a negative view of such positive things!

I'll bring lube. . . lots and lots of it.

perryscherry 0

i think i'm falling for u Plexico:)

You can join the "plexico have my babies" club. There are about 6 members. I'm dictator. Interested?

you do realize this is the internet right?

ifuckingrock 0

You've been in a sorority for five years? Wtf?

did i ever tell you to **** off and go die? Well I just did again to make sure. **** YOU PLEXICO. You are not funny whatsover. Continue your sad, pathetic life of self-pity and mediocrity.

*gasp* well that was an overreaction. Thumbs down the person above me, anyone?

ASUmeg 0

Members of sororities are in them for life. Obviously I dont know this specific person's situation; but it is possible that she graduated from college on time one year ago--she is still a member, regardless of it she is in college or not

WPQ14 15

My sorority certainly isn't dry, but we don't pressure girls into drinking, and I have never been worse off than a light buzz. We take care of each other, and still keep a respectable face on campus.

Cant_touch_this, I believe you have told me such things, but I haven't listened because you are not worthy of my attention or respect. I have never seen you contribute anything of any value, so if I were to "**** off and go die," then people will subjected to more of your drivel. My stuff is brilliant compared to yours, so if I create mediocrity, your stuff must be worse than low-grade dog food. Stop bugging me -- try to find someone who will write something remotely interesting for you so you can put your sorry-ass name to it and we all will stop dreading seeing your name.

Done, pixie. :) plexico just verbally curbstomped that bitch.

I have never seen such terrible advice for such a serious concern. Not trying to step on toes and may catch flak for the post, but alcoholism is a medically defined disease. It is beyond just drinking heavily. And while it may be fun in college, by the time you reach midlife, it is pure hell. For the poster, there are great facilities in Kansas. If this really is a problem for you that you can't just stop, continue the initiative, call them. I promise you, you won't regret it later when you look back on this. -CltCounselor

Alcohol sounds like the perfect solution, pun intended. *runs*

Sounds like someone's life is dependent on the influence of exterior forces to operate. Listen if you recognize you have a real problem you have already started the well known and cliche first step. I gamble you have a common drinking problem from partying and constantly making a social event into a place to drink which some college students develop causing many to fail while others get over it. Get some willpower and stop drinking then. If its a real problem then don't go to places where they serve drinks, even if your friends are there. Then maybe you can learn something later on called moderation. But your dads right in a way, get some friends who care to take on w/e problems you have and not him.

What else are you going to do in Kansas, honestly? Screw around?

Move to Utah and join the Mormons. Then have babies with plexico. The liar.