By chefdujour - 15/03/2009 04:56 - United States

Today, I spent 5 hours preparing dinner for my fianc''s grandparents, whom I've never met. At dinner, his grandmother says to him, "If you're going to pick someone to spend the rest of your life with, at least make sure she can cook." I'm the executive chef at a 4 star restaurant. FML
I agree, your life sucks 98 054
You deserved it 5 727

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Further proof that some grandparents/parents will be negative - no matter what.

And? Maybe they just have bad taste in food, or you honestly messed up. If you know you're good, it's not a big deal, really.

Comments

Don't worry, they're old. They won't last much longer. Besides, if you've made it that far in your career than you've GOT to be a fantastic chef.

Oh don't let that bother you...ever seen the episode of FRIENDS were Monica gets a bad review for her restaurant and freaks out about it? :) They probably would have complained no matter what...they're grandparents :) my grandpa used to be a chef and he cooks really good so you would think he can recognize delicious food...but nope...he doesn't like ANYTHING he hasn't cooked himself...no matter where we go to eat, he always has complaints about everything... I'm sure you can cook great!!!

#11 is right, sense of taste goes quickly when people begin to age, usually beginning with thinking everything isn't salty enough. Don't take it too hard, but at the same time, she shouldn't have said that.

blacklagoon_fml 0

That could have meant you were good at cooking. Like "pick this girl, she knows how to cook." I think you're making too big a deal out of it. And even if she did, so what, its not going to knock a star off your restaurant. :)

I would have just told her, "Well, then it's a good thing he picked me."

freddie_fml 0

Erm... it sounds to me like the grandmother was affirming his choice of you, not cutting you down. She said to choose someone who could cook, and obviously you can. Not seeing the problem here.

astroG 0

haahahhahaah. not laughing at you, but the grams with the dead taste buds

crazybe3bshot31 0

she probably didnt like you. and blamed it on ur cooking. but that was rude of her!.

ha, my grandma used to say everything was too salty or not salty enough. i really wouldnt think too much of it

Is it not possible that she meant that you were good at cooking? Because in the context that also makes sense.