By chefdujour - 15/03/2009 04:56 - United States

Today, I spent 5 hours preparing dinner for my fianc''s grandparents, whom I've never met. At dinner, his grandmother says to him, "If you're going to pick someone to spend the rest of your life with, at least make sure she can cook." I'm the executive chef at a 4 star restaurant. FML
I agree, your life sucks 98 054
You deserved it 5 727

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Further proof that some grandparents/parents will be negative - no matter what.

And? Maybe they just have bad taste in food, or you honestly messed up. If you know you're good, it's not a big deal, really.

Comments

weeerd to #17 and I didn't know taste buds deteriorate first as you age, that explains a lot!

Don't listen to people over the age of 75 when they complain about shit, they don't know what's going on anyway.

some parents/granparents are just negative toward anyone who could became son/daughter-in-law. Laugh on that remark, you do know who you are in life.

some parents/granparents are just negative toward anyone who could became son/daughter-in-law. Laugh on that remark, you do know who you are in life.

I call BS on your "4 star restaurant." 4 stars doesn't exist - Michelin gives out a maximum of 3 stars. Maybe you mean their Fork/Knife symbols or Bib Gourmand ratings?

I am going to disagree with everybody who posted so far and say you are being too hard on yourself. After spending 5 hours preparing dinner I doubt they disliked it. I find it more likely that they were so impressed that they forgot to expressly compliment you because they assumed there nonverbal communication was obvious; however, because this was the first time you were meeting them you can't read their nonverbal communication that accurately. To me it seems like the grandparents were REALLY thoroughly impressed and indirectly telling their grandson to spend the rest of his life with you because your cooking was so impressive. Particularly if the grandparents did not yet know you were engaged then it might be the grandparents trying to plant the idea of spending the rest of his life in their grandson's head. You deserved this for jumping to the conclusion that the grandparents were being negative towards you.

Checkitawwt 0

Why do people really think she deserves this? She just happens to be concerned what her fiancés grandparents think of her cooking, especially since its their first impression. I agree with most people, you're probably a great chef so no worries. :)

RLJJ 0

Never mind, she's just one more asshole. And you won't have to cope with HER in the future. Suggestions : - never invite her again, and if she complains about that just admit you don't like to work for people who have such a shitty taste. - if you really must invite her heat a big can of peas or beans and put it on the table - or get some McDonalds delivered... - or maybe some nicely prepared cat or dog meat ?

maybe it meant that she thought u COULD cook? depends if she was being sarcastic or not

I'd have to hear her tone on this, but to me, it seems like she was complimenting you! Like, she said, "At least make sure she can cook... you picked a good one for that!" That sort of meaning, y'know?