By chefdujour - 15/03/2009 04:56 - United States

Today, I spent 5 hours preparing dinner for my fianc''s grandparents, whom I've never met. At dinner, his grandmother says to him, "If you're going to pick someone to spend the rest of your life with, at least make sure she can cook." I'm the executive chef at a 4 star restaurant. FML
I agree, your life sucks 98 054
You deserved it 5 727

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Further proof that some grandparents/parents will be negative - no matter what.

And? Maybe they just have bad taste in food, or you honestly messed up. If you know you're good, it's not a big deal, really.

Comments

she's just a bitch and nothing will ever be good enough for her grandson in her eyes. it's not really an fml for u because u obviously have talent. and it's not really a u deserved it because u were just being nice.

you know some people just dont like good food. i dont know why, but there are members of my family (ok, like all of them) who really resist when i try to get them to try something new or of a slightly more sophisticated palate than pepperoni pizza.

that could have been her agreeing with her grandson and/or speaking on a general, theoretical level...

kellster 2

Wow. As a former sous-chef, I know how much training and experience you must have, and how great that meal probably was. No matter what or how you cooked, that was an inexcusably rude thing of your fiance's grandmother to say! I hope he stood up for you!!

No matter what, some family members are always going to think that no one's good enough for their cousin, nephew, son/daughter, grandson/daughter, etc... So, that could be just one of those things. Or maybe his grandma's just really picky... Either way, that sucks... :/

She might have meant that as a compliment. She might not have been referring to your cooking.

wrestler_fml 0

Well, stop crying to us about it! Didn't you SAY SOMETHING? You know- maybe point out your credentials? Also, she could have been complimenting you! She could have meant it this way, if she continued: "and SINCE this girl can cook, you should marry her! the food was great!" Now, I'm NOT saying that's what she meant, because I didn't hear her tone or see her facial expression. But it's possible. Lastly, if you didn't tell her yet that you're an executive chef, tell her the next time you see her or talk to her- or even call her up now! Why not? You can just tell her you wanted to talk to her, and then fit it into conversation. Remember- the more bitter/negative people are, it's usually because their life sucks and nobody likes them or pays attention to them! Maybe she needs somebody to talk to? If she thought you were just going to be another lady who ignored her, she might have that reason for not wanting you around. Show her you're talkative and friendly, and that you'll make her life more fun by being around.... and she'll very likely warm up to you. Lastly, be really all-over your fiancee the next few days, make love to him, kiss him, smile, laugh, etc. and he will forget what they said! If he brings it up, just point out to him that they simply haven't been out to eat at fancy restaurants, obviously; and that if he likes your cooking (which he probly does), then that's all that matters.

kandy_fml 0

I wouldn't take it too personally. Old people complain about everything.

I kind of want to go ahead and say fake. First off, what rating system are you talking about, there are many. Second if you're about to get married you're probably pretty young, most likely 25. Which means you are one damn young executive chef!! Third you're a chef at a 4 star restaurant... how the hell do you find the time to use the computer, and even find out about FML? I'm not saying it's fake, I'm just saying it's a little fishy.

@41: Because the OP doesn't get any time off and/or works 24/7, right? God forbid OP has a life outside the job... Anywho, to those who're saying it's a compliment, personally I can't read it as such. It's the "make sure" that sounds like an insult to me. "If you're going to pick someone to spend the rest of your life with, at least make sure she can cook." versus "If you're going to pick someone to spend the rest of your life with, at least she can cook." Okay, so that may not be perfect, but hopefully my point's getting across.