By That Guy - 01/11/2014 12:58 - United States - Tampa

Today, I realized why the lady I had complimented the night before on Halloween about her amazing one-armed costume, looked so hurt. She is literally missing an arm. I'm an asshole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 610
You deserved it 14 237

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mc2013 18

Ouch. You didn't know. Unless you made a horrible comment about her missing arm then she shouldn't take it to heart. Accidents happen.

You're not an asshole if you feel bad for the mistake you made.

Comments

Mc2013 18

Ouch. You didn't know. Unless you made a horrible comment about her missing arm then she shouldn't take it to heart. Accidents happen.

Well of course accidents happen, she's missing an arm. Anyways, that sucks OP. Not sure if you can get ahold of her but if you can, maybe an apology will make both of you feel better.

find her, apologize profusely, and give her a hug

#27, that was awful, making a joke about her missing arm. Smh

I almost voted YDI, but I also feel that kind of pain very often OP. People make mistakes, some more than others; FYL

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure it's possible to make it look like you are missing an arm. Wouldn't you need an invisibility cloak or something?

You're not an asshole if you feel bad for the mistake you made.

I agree. Don't worry OP. I assume you, considering you had the chance, apologized profusely.

Plus you didn't know! Like #1 said if you said anything mean about the missing arm then we'd understand why she would be hurt! And like #2 said if you feel bad about it that wand your not an asshole!

My mom was born without one hand and she is extremely light hearted about it. My family actually makes jokes about it and we all, her included, laugh. She was once at a hockey game and her hands were in her pockets and a new friend (who hadn't noticed her lack of hand yet) said "that's funny, the way your hand is in your pocket makes it look like you have no hand." To which my moms cousin said "she doesn't have a hand" my parents and cousin laughed and this guy felt horrible, to which my mom told him it wasn't a problem and that that happens sometimes. I have met other people without a hand who try and hide it all the time. Personally I think more people should learn from my mom to just own it, not be embarrassed by it, and most importantly to realize that some people won't notice right away or say stupid comments by accident or asked questions that may be insensitive but they don't mean any harm. Someone in this position feels so horrible about it and I think it's people (like my mom's) job to try and help them feel less embarrassed and let them know it's not a big deal. If she actually was offended than I think she needs to learn to deal with it a bit better because from experience I know things like this will come up again a lot. It's good you feel bad op, but don't let it ruin your day, it was an honest mistake and you didn't mean to offend her. :)

#33 THAT was beautiful! *wipes tears out if eyes*

At least you weren't telling her one armed jokes. How do you get a one armed person out of a tree? ... Wave

You went out on a limb with that one, but it paid off.

Everyone put your hands together for this one. The one-armed ones can high-five.

It was a good joke, but I still feel like something is missing...

Put your left arm in....um nevermind.

29 put your left arm in, put your left arm out, put your... Left arm in again...

These puns get two - er, one thumb up!

You're not an asshole. It was halloween and you really thought she was dressed up. It's an honest mistake that anyone could of made.

I'm surprised she didn't expect someone to make that mistake. There's no way you could've known, don't beat yourself up over it.

she should have made it part of the costume. best zombie make up ever

i was litterally about to say that she could have made that a costume, but then i scrolled down a bit and heres you're comment lol

It's not like it was intentional, don't beat yourself up about it, OP.

I mean it is kind of al-arming to see someone walking around missing a limb on Halloween.

Yeah, kind of like a man in an al-uminum costume. No worries, I at least got your reference ;)

It was bad... But I laughed at yours as well. At least someone likes twisted bad humor :)

Don't sweat it too much, OP, I'm sure the woman would understand. It's halloween, after all.