By Jackie - 14/09/2010 20:00 - United States

Today, I realized the guy I like is not deaf. This would normally be good news. However, for the past two weeks I assumed he was deaf after seeing him use sign language. I've been openly talking about him within earshot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 565
You deserved it 49 713

Same thing different taste

Top comments

twinny_sc 13

Wow that's stupid because even deaf people can read lips.

Comments

KelceyLoves 0

I don't understand how a person can "like" someone without knowing them. :P

Exactly. This had to be a physical appearance-based thing. If she would have considered his hearing as a good thing, it probably wasn't one of those patronizing "Aw, he's so *interesting* and *different*!" things.

she could have gotten to know him by signing with him?

98: That's a good point. I hadn't considered that maybe she does know sign language, but you're right— the FML doesn't address or imply whether she signs or not. Good catch. ;)

Although if she did, she'd likely know about the taboos of the deaf culture and respect them a bit more. The post below this one explains it nicely.

If you liked him and thought he was deaf, the thing to do was learn something about deafness and Deaf culture. One of the first things you would have learned is to never, NEVER say something in the presence of a deaf person that you don't want them to know you said. First off, many people who are legally deaf do have some degree of hearing. Secondly, deaf people get their information all kinds of ways. Some are absolutely amazing lipreaders. Others are just incredibly observant and get the essence despite missing a few details. I know about this because I used to be a captioner for deaf people.

Excellent point, and quite well-put. I doubt OP was hiding the crush well with her body language, facial expressions, etc. anyway.

smurf1 0

you deserve it for assuming and for also thinking that deaf people wouldn't be able to read lips. idiot.

Agreed. All the deaf people I've met know how to read lips, so OP talking out loud wouldn't really exclude him from her conversation with her friends. OP also must not know him very well or have much contact with him if she's never heard him speak...

Even if he was deaf, you shouldn't be talking about him within earshot. I don't know, because even though my italian 3rd cousin couldn't speak english, I wouldn't feel comfortable just talking about him within earshot even though he was close.

YDI. Like, really? Even if he was deaf why would you talk about him when he's right there?! People can read lips, you know.

yolie_fml 0

I can't read this. It's not in sign language. :(

FirstBornUnicorn 0

I can't read this either. I'm illiterate.

Shaggy_92 5

I'm gonna guess and that means you can only hear out of one ear, right?

Shaggy_92 5
like_its_ya_bday 0

o crap.. u should have made sure but god that sucks

Maybe he got a cocular implant? By the way, I know how to say bitch in sign language.

if he had a coclear implant she would be able to see the device in his ear...

Cochlear? I think that's how it's spelled...

lydiia_fml 0

wait, how him whaaaaat? how the **** does fml publish shit like this

FFML_314 11

Could it be, because the founders of the site are from France and English is not their first language? Chill out. It's a typo!