Legacy

By Anonymous - 16/04/2024 23:00 - United States - Dallas

Today, it's been a week since my mother died. She had no life insurance and was over $20,000 in debt, plus her hospital/funeral bills. My father wants nothing to do with me as she was a one night stand and he never paid child support. I'm behind on rent and bills because I'm injured from work. Thanks for nothing, mom. FML
I agree, your life sucks 499
You deserved it 143

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Rhonda 1

Her debt is not your responsibility. It dies with her. If it is credit card debt, just send a copy of the death certificate and they will cancel the debt.

You don't have to accept an inheritance. If she didn't leave anything but debts or the debts outweigh what else she left, you can reject it. Look into it, there are deadlines for how long you have to formally reject it.

Comments

I'm going through the exact same thing. my husband mom passed away in 2023 and had nothing but bills and loans. hang in there, it did eventuality start to get better and easier. sending good vibes

You don't have to accept an inheritance. If she didn't leave anything but debts or the debts outweigh what else she left, you can reject it. Look into it, there are deadlines for how long you have to formally reject it.

d j mom 3

do some research. I'm pretty sure you don't have to take on her debts.

Her bills are not yours unless you co-signed. as for being behind, even if there was any money left after paying her bills, it will be locked up in probate for over a year minimum while the lawyers suck up anything left. Totally sticks that you appearantly have to do this all on your own.

Rhonda 1

Her debt is not your responsibility. It dies with her. If it is credit card debt, just send a copy of the death certificate and they will cancel the debt.