By oh... - 20/10/2013 20:34 - United States - Springfield

Today, I realized that when my dad said he would pay for my college, he really meant that he was going to forge my signature on a student loan in my name and not make payments on it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 397
You deserved it 3 606

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't know how close you are to your dad, but that's a serious crime and you should be making a police report.

Comments

Bigfabthetruth52 22
Bigfabthetruth52 22

Well thats exactly the way i said it while laughing.sorry i didn't convey that in a funnier fashion.

Not only is he an asshole but also a criminal. It's illegal to do something like that.

BriCx 8

I hope it wasn't with Sallie Mae. Those assholes are bullies when you owe them money. I must have reported them for harassment half a dozen times.

If you actually pay your debts with them they leave you alone. I haven't heard from them once in the 10 years I've had a loan with them.

BriCx 8

Not everyone can pay off debts when they demand it. Some people lose their jobs or have other things come up. I haven't been able to get a job in two years and when I finally did, I was laid off. So naturally, I can't pay that bill right now.

Bigfabthetruth52 22

Who the hell accepted the paper work from him without id.unless he faxed it or something even then he would still need it.

Yup. You're dad is definitely a mega douche.

kayteakay 26

Why are you on FML if you don't want to hear about this sort of thing?

stephers444 17

And the father of the year awed goes to... Your dad for being an asshole

Great news OP. Legally the lenders cannot collect a penny from you because you didn't sign the documents. You don't have to get your dad in trouble, but just make a police report that you never signed it and that you never signed the documents. The lenders will have to fold on all debts and you walk away free. Well played OP

Does free also mean without a college degree?

Snide_Sniper 3

no 44, it doesn't because OP should already have that. Considering payment s can't be missed until their due which is after graduation. But this comment is wrong anyway. OP would have to prove that he didn't sign and that's a tough sell unless he proves his dad forged his signature. Also OP benefited fro. the forgery so in all fairness, they can sue OP for the debt. Otherwise people woild be having friends/family forge signatures all the time. Then prove, Hey I didn't do it, I just got a new porsche outta the deal.

The thing you're forgetting is that the friends and family will be wanted for fraud if they signed their own names on a legal document for someone else, fraud and forgery if they sign the name of the person they're getting it for. And they'll very likely have the friend or family on video walking in and out. These are pretty good deterrents for most people.

andirn 2

You SHOULD pay for your own schooling anyway. Not the right way for him to go about it, though.

College is VERY expensive. OPs dad could have offered to help as a gift. It's like saying if you had a job were you made quit a bit of money and your child enrolled in college wouldn't you help them out a little?

Sweetpea22 14

My friend is still paying for her college debt. She is $70,000 in debt. Yeah, every person can pay for college on $7.50 an hour

andirn 2

I know how expensive college is. I have two bachelors and paid my own way. I am doing extremely well for myself. This culture is too soft on 18 year-old "children". Do your research and get a major in a field that is growing. If my children choose to go to college they will be adults and find a way to pay for it themselves.

Sweetpea22 14

Must be nice to be some place that has jobs available. Many people aren't so lucky to live there

Well, kudos to you. But no, not everyone has enough OR can make enough money to go to college. There are a lot of great minds out there who aren't getting the education they deserve simple because they can't afford it.

Chellybelly92 14

#58 I'm paying my own way through college, now and sure as hell do not want my kids to go through what I am going through. Good for you being able to do it but if I can keep my children from this hardship I will.

pazuzus_intern 10

It must be nice on that pedestal of yours because not everyone has the credit or the income to take out loans willy nilly to pull thousands of dollars per semester out of their asses. Enjoy ******* your kids out of doing something with their lives.

Vegeto30294 19

Wow, really glad I have the parents I do right now. They said, 'we brought you into this world, so your accessibility to education is, in part, our responsibility.' Makes sense.

The point is that he said he would pay and OP acted accordingly. I agree people need pay at least part of their own education, bit that isn't the issue here.