By Deadendjob - 22/05/2017 02:00

Today, my dad refused to sign a student finance form to allow me to study my dream subject at university because he doesn't want the government knowing his business. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 672
You deserved it 412

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I imagine the Government already know his business. Especially if it's the US or UK Governments.

HalfLit 17

My parents did the exact same thing to me. They literally just flat out refused to sign anything so I could get financial aid. I had to wait FIVE YEARS till I turned 24 so Ny state would use my financial background instead of my parents. There was no other way around it.

Comments

I imagine the Government already know his business. Especially if it's the US or UK Governments.

HalfLit 17

My parents did the exact same thing to me. They literally just flat out refused to sign anything so I could get financial aid. I had to wait FIVE YEARS till I turned 24 so Ny state would use my financial background instead of my parents. There was no other way around it.

I often (well maybe not often but regularly) see here post about people having parents with such behaviour. And eveytime I can't process how parents can act that way towards their children. It sounds so illogical when parents are supposed to wish and do the best for their children. And it's not always parents who had a tough life or stuff like that. Considering this is not even a perfect excuse, both my parents have had an atrocious youth and even after their lives have been full of countless harsh moments ; still they did their best for me.

If you default on loans, this makes them responsible. They have every right to refuse.

That doesn't mean that the kids can't pay the parents back at least. Does the word "instalment" mean anything?

Why should the parents be responsible for what their children do as adults? What if they don't pay them back? Should the parents be on the hook for $100,000 so their kid can follow their dream??

mariri9206 32

Instalment means nothing. I believe the word you're looking for is installment.

Little Richard 11

Not in the US, unless they cosign a private loan. The federal student loans are the responsibility of the borrower.

Unfortunately that is not true. The parents become responsible for the students financial aid if he defaults if parents have signed the documents. I work in finance and see this coming up on adults Financial papers that they owe their kids debt, from their kids refusing to pay. they can use the parents financial information help qualify for Grants, but if the kid is getting any financial aid and the parents signed they can be held responsible and this is in the US

It is bullshit how much you have reveal to the government to even be considered for financial aid. And if you hide anything, you and your kid can be in trouble.

Stiggy626 25

is his name Dale Gribble by chance?

I'm assuming your father has a phone number, a mortgage/lease and he works. The government knows everything. Unless he's feigning stupidity so he doesn't have to cosign!

My mother did the same, and waited until the last possible moment to tell me. In the year I had "off" I worked a lot to save money and also looked into scholarships and grants. It can be done. It sucks though. Have you thought about financial emancipation?

mariri9206 32

Tell him that the government track people who refuse to sign form because they are "subversive". He needs to sign to fool them into thinking that he doesn't know what they are up to!

Welcome to the lesser people where parents don't help with shit....