By Anonymous - 12/04/2009 02:52 - United States

Today, I parked my car on the street to go to the gym. When I came back my car was blocked by a parade of people. I turned to a shop worker smoking a cigarette and said "Jesus! What the hell is going on?" I got many strange looks. It was a Good Friday parade lead by a local church. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 804
You deserved it 47 334

Same thing different taste

Top comments

SpunkT 0

Awesome. Also, can we seriously knock that "FIRST!!!OMG I"M AWESOME CAUSE I CHECK WEBSITES SO OFTEN I CAN COMMENT BEFORE ANYONE ELSE LOOK HOW COOL I AM HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA" crap out? Or can FML just delete those comments? I know other sites just go through and delete stupid "FIRST" comments. Even if you say something else after you're a total douche. We can see that you're first. You're not cool. Go outside.

I will never understand why people go to parades. If it wasn't for the candy when I was younger I would have shot myself. Hopefully they let you out.

Comments

#55. I've been punched in the face in high school by people who I had never met simply because they heard I didn't share their religious beliefs, so Christians are perfectly capable of intolerance Secondly, the article you pointed out ranked atheists & theists on what they they *said* they considered important... it is perfectly possible for them to say one thing and do another. The technical term is hypocrisy. Pollster George Gallup's research led him to conclude that there is “little difference in the ethical views and behavior of the churched and the unchurched.” He found no substantial difference in the numbers of those who cheated on their taxes, exaggerated their résumés, or called in sick though well. Other findings show that there is no notable distinction between giving patterns; only 25% of evangelicals tithe, and the vast majority who make between 50-75 thousand a year give only 1.5% (PRRC Emerging Trends (December 1983):3-5 cited in Charles Colson, The Body, (Word Publishing, Dallas, 1992), p. 31) On the other hand, The Roper Organization discovered a similar, but more devastating, finding. In analyzing the difference between how a person lived one’s life before and after one became “born again,” their data showed that in the three categories analyzed – use of illegal drugs, drunk driving, and marital infidelity–the behavior in each category was worse after the born again experience than it was before: To wit: Drunk driving: 4% before “conversion”, 12% after; illegal drug use: 5% before, 9% after; Sex with another besides spouse: 2% before, 5% after. “Study Finds Little Difference in Behavior of Born-Again Christians,” EP News Service, Sept. 21, 1990, p. 9 In addition, the expectation of forgiveness noted in your citation is part of the problem. If you know that some unseen agent will forgive your bad behaviour, maybe you are more likely to do it. I'd rather live in a world where people do not expect to be forgiven following a confession of their sins. Most Christians I know are perfectly pleasant. I just think they would just be equally nice if they were atheist, and a lot less likely to object to their fellow citizens marrying whom they chose on the basis of a conviction which is based on nothing they can actually prove.

tiltwrestler 0

and #63, I wholeheartedly agree. Like I said, I know a lot of good people who are atheists, and all of that stuff. I don't have any personal problems with them. Once again, my main point is simply that in America, most people tend to vote for a President who is a practicing Christian with moral values. And my other main point is that no matter WHAT people think and vote based on, we should always have the freedom to vote, to think, to speak, and to like and dislike what we choose. Because if not, the government will screw us ALL- atheist, christian, muslim, pagan, buddhist, hindu, jew, environmentalist alike! And govt. will screw us all because of the basic reason that us americans know how to spend our money better than the govt does; we know how to operate businesses better than the govt does; we know where we want our kids to go to school better than the govt does; etc etc etc!

explodingplant 0

who cares? if people gave you looks because you said the word jesus, they're freaks. and what's with all this pseudo debate? stfu.

Geeky_Warrior 0

..Good Friday Parade.. that sounds like total bullshit. Unless theres some other religion besides Catholicism that has the term good friday. But yeah, Holy Thursday is the night of the Last Supper, and Good Friday is when he was crucified. I highly doubt any Catholic church would have PARADE on this day. But I may be wrong.. I guess. =/

cartering 0

Nah number 8, SpunkT just likes to stir up trouble. I rarely come here and this is the fourth time I've seen that poster trying to berate another commentator on the boards. he must have a truly sad life to have wanted to do that more than once.....and what is even more sad is that he has yet to realize its a perfect FML. "Today for the zillionth time in a row, I was such a loser I had nothing better to do than to initiate trouble toward FML commentators....Oh, and I've done this every other day i've come here too. FML." Keep an eye out for his name. You'll see him again and again. Different topic. Same troublemaking

ben26_fml 0

ha dont worry you dont deserve that a parade for good friday? wtf? rlly? lol

Here is why I have trouble believing this. Whenever there is a public event, such as a parade or a march, or a charity walk, whatever, regardless of where you are in the US (if tihs IS in the US at least), you have to apply for a permit. The permit gives you permission to access certain areas and to block traffic. The day before signs are generally posted to announce why the areas will be blocked off (sometimes even a few days before) and temporary "do not park" signs are put up around the designated areas. I worked for the city government. There are protocols. There is no way a city would allow a parade and not block parking in the "area." NOT to mention they would have blocked off the streets to cars the nigth before (not just for parking) or early that morning. Sorry, this is so bogus.

#30 - are you serious? I mean honestly? You think Christians get the brunt of it? You are SORELY mistaken. Muslims, Jews, and many other religions are not only constantly made fun of but harrassed and bashed. People don't like bible thumpers who try to impose their belief on other people. But the reality is anti semitism and haters of other religions (i dont know the technical term) are ten times more prominent than the people who joke about christianity. And lets not forget it was christianty that started so many wars throughout history (i love how you all seem to forget that... wah wah wah, call to allah... how about the Spanish Inquisition? The Slave Trade? The holocaust? Two of them Jews were persecuted for the umpteenth time for their beliefs and most Africans abducted during the slave trade were forced to leave their beliefs behind and adopt christianity). Dude, you're so like the single white dude at the million man march whining about how unfair it is to be white and how you have to deal with "racism." Go back to your waspy neighborhood.

I do agree that many other religions are highly persecuted against. But because of this, if you say anything against Judaism, Islam, or other religion, you will be considered a prejudiced asshole. But, if you say that someone is a "Jesus freak" or a "bible thumper," it's totally acceptable. Same applies to racist stereotypes. If you say something about blacks, asians, or people of ethnicities besides caucasian, you will be hated. But if you say that a German, Italian, or Irish person, it's okay. It's done on TV and in movies all the time, because the people who run those industries aren't German, Italian, or Irish. For example, remember what Sonia Sotomayor said about a Latina woman being better than a white woman? That wouldn't be okay if a white woman had said that about Latinas. I grow up in a town that is nearly half Jewish, and many of my friends are Jewish. But there's always the occasional kid at school who says that "Jews are better than everyone." If I said that Catholics or whites were better than everyone, I'd probably be sent to the assistant principal for intolerance. The point is that everyone has a right to their own religious beliefs. People shouldn't impose their religion or political views on others. Nobody should persecute anyone based on race, religion, political views, sexual orientation, etc. But just because your race or religion isn't in the majority doesn't mean you can insult the majority.