By NickDrakeFan - 29/10/2013 01:57 - United States

Today, I overcame my stage fright and got up in front of a café audience with my acoustic guitar to sing a few of my songs. Some asshat kept yelling stuff like "NEEDS MORE COWBELL!" and "FREEBIRD!", which made me lose my nerve and flee. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 677
You deserved it 4 551

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Aww man :( keep it up bro you'll get there in the end! Just concentrate on you not anyone else

Dodge4x4Ram 46

Get back on the horse, it gets easier with time.

Comments

Aww man :( keep it up bro you'll get there in the end! Just concentrate on you not anyone else

friedpwnadge 25

Better yet, next time some asshole says that, just throw a cowbell at them as hard and accurately as you can. That should satisfy their needs.

call me a jerk, but i couldn't help but picture Napoleon Dynamite when u said "which caused me to flee", it reminded me of Napoleon running off stage.

Man I'd take off with you. I couldn't possibly stand that asshat.

40, I thought of pokemon. Douche bag used taunt. Wild OP fled.

Hecklers are a part of being a performer. Personally, I taunt them back if the occasion allows me to. I'm an improv actor and they make me funny.

tjv3 10

It gets easier. Next time bring a cow bell and chunk it at dudes head

Dodge4x4Ram 46

Get back on the horse, it gets easier with time.

etoilenuit 15

Yea next time try to turn an awkward situation like that into a positive one. You could just laugh it off and everyone would laugh with you, or call him out because clearly he was a douche bag. Either way, try again. Think a situation out before you run.

It really does. I used to have a HUGE fear of public speaking, voice cracked, hands shook, forgot everything, did terrible, but I had to do a lot of it in school and over time I got used to the fear and could do a good job on them. There's all types of things you could do, like make a joke out of it or adlib a line in your song about him being a douche, but, most important thing is to sit through it and keep doing it. That's really the trick to being comfortable in front of a crowd, so don't get down on yourself for running off. You went up there and you sat through it for a certain amount of time, that is an accomplishment and your skin is a little tougher for it. All your favorite bands/artist went through the same thing, you're on the right track.

"Needs more cowbell?" "Don't Fear the Reaper" Classic!!

Dodge4x4Ram 46

"Needs more cowbell" is a skit from SNL when Blue Oyster Cult played "Don't Fear the Reaper" Now, Dodge4x4Ram, I'll sing that exact song to you while your comment gets down voted. ;)

Check out, Terri Clark - Poor Poor pitiful me, and the youtube comments lol.

I don't know where it's going #28 but i'm just going along for the ride!

perdix 29

#3, an odd coincidence is that Christopher Walken's character in that sketch was named Bruce Dickinson, which is also the name of the lead singer of Iron Maiden. Weird, huh?

HeyHeyFishFillet 34

Hey OP, at least you decided to actually do something about your fear and that at the very least is admirable. I wouldn't give up performing just because of one asshole, so keep doing what you want.

Who knows? This experience may make OP realize his long buried dream of being a track and field star.

Pwn17 25

Some people are just assholes. Just ignore them and don't let them discourage you.

I understand where your stage fright comes from. I'm a guitarist and singer myself and it does take a few times to completely conquer the fear. Don't get discouraged because of one dumb ass.

ninjuh_wingman 29

Cowbells make everything better.

perdix 29

#8, they are the bacon of music?

No, that would be the pigbell. I will show myself out now.

The people that vote YDI on this are probably the same type of people who would act like this guy in the fml.

It's okay OP, just try again. People always yell stuff at the stage, I think I've heard both of those at every genre of concert I've been to. You just have to play along.

PandaBurst 10

Question is, did you have any cowbell at ALL in your performance?