By Anonymous - 18/09/2014 15:38 - Taiwan - Taipei

Today, I'm so broke that I had to call in sick to work because I couldn't afford to pay my bus fare. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 431
You deserved it 5 245

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I have to go to work to pay for school but I usually have to miss school to go to work :/

Comments

ShadowlessSpear 21

Seems like you have wifi though

Being able to get on the internet isn't a marker of disposable income. Sitting in the McDs parking lot eating off the dollar menu'll allow you wifi access. Free wi-fi is literally everywhere.

OP is also in Taiwan, where Internet cafés with public computers are a thing still I believe. Also free Internet at libraries.

Also, wi-fi is starting to become a necessity. Most people need it these days for school or for work. So it's not unreasonable that OP might have prioritised it

If they can eat at McDonalds they could have used that to get to work.

life always throws rocks at you ..you gotta use those rocks to build the house...

Wouldn't you lose a lot of money for having an unpaid sick day?

#101 no, they arent. a lot of places i know will only pay you on sick days if you have proof (so a doctors certificate), AND if you are a full time employee. if you are only employed as a casual, you are not entitled to anything like paid sick days.

PainOfDemise 11

Well, you better have paid sick time or you just screwed yourself even more.

Sounds like you need to find a new job that pays better if you can't even afford to go to it.

Been there, that really sucks. Try not to beat your self up, keep your chin up high and keep pushing forward. Hide small change enough for travel fare, around the house for rainy days like this in future. You could always try to walk there after you have called in sick. Calling in sick doesn't mean that you can't claim to have made a slight recovery later in the day and changed your mind about coming in. That way you look as though you really care about your job.

You should look into getting the unlimited monthly pass for public transportation. I pay $55 for Chicago's monthly public transportation pass :)