By Anonymous - 24/12/2010 05:02 - Australia

Today, I helped out with makeup at my daughter's high school play. As one girl walked past, I told her that she'd smudged pink lipstick all up the side of her face. Turns out it was a birthmark. She cried in the dressing room for half an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 032
You deserved it 12 469

Same thing different taste

Top comments

memo619 0

it was an honest mistake it's not like if you were making fun of her

Oh please, you can't compare birthmarks on an arm (that you can easily cover if it bothers you) to birthmarks on a face.

Comments

hey mabye she will read ur FML and post one about you since your the victim here . also since ur an adult you should know this isnt a perfect world we live in and people have flaws so before you open your mouth be sure of what your saying. and she needs to grow up as well since she will have to deal with it the rest of her life .

Am I missing something here? You say you were doing makeup for the play, so instead of offering to HELP her by, oh I don't know, putting makeup over the birthmark, you let her cry for an hour? Madam, you suck like a lamprey sucks a shark.

perdix 29

Oh, bullshit! My daughter was born with a birthmark on her forehead which everyone thought was a "boo-boo." Instead of being a hypersensitive cry-baby about it, she learned to say, "Oh, I was born with it," without a lot of drama. I'm sure this wasn't the first time some well-meaning adult mistook the little brat's birthmark for something else.

I agree with you. she needs to stop crying about it and learn that people are going to mistake it all the time or she'll be one miserable person her whole life.

Well isnt your daughter just the most perfect human being alive.I also learned how to say i was born with it, but dont let your daughter fool you , the words still hurt. They stab at you like a knife. So, she cried like a baby. She went off and cried on her own, not throw a hissy fit on stage. We need more compassion in this world and it appears we need more of it from people who go through the same issues we did.

perdix 29

Most people who mentioned it were doing so in a compassionate way (just as the OP was trying to be helpful). Of course, my daughter gets upset with kids that mock her, but at least she's wise enough to know the difference.

MsStef, shut the **** up. The words don't hurt if they're just asking in a curious and compassionate way. I have noonan's syndrome, which causes my neck to have extra skin and stick out a little, and people ask about it and I just tell them I was born with it and it's just extra skin and that's that. You're probably just a sensitive pussy just like the girl who cried.

lmw562 3

has anyone stopped to consider that she might have been nervous about the show and that asking the question about her face only made her MORE self conscious.

Did you ever think that this girl was simply nervous? Maybe she was PMSing as well. She could have just had someone make fun of her. I have to agree with what that one person said, ain't your daughter just perfect! Your daughter probably cries about it alone. Get off your high horse, you don't know what this girl was going through! Yes she needs to learn to love herself, but it is difficult for some people. And to OP, it was an honest mistake, my best friend has a large birthmark on her forehead and one day I told her that her concealer was blotchy and uneven, and I offered to fix it. Poor thing started crying. I felt terrible; I didn't know she had a birthmark!

UpsidedownKayak 9

OP, I am sure you blushed when you realized your mistake. You don't need to take it purse-nal, just apologize and make up with her. Remember, sincerity is the foundation for a great apology that will mask over the spilled tears. What is the worst that will happen, she tells you to, "Lip-stick it up yours!"

ohhhhh tough luck OP but honest mistake

maybe she should say hey looks like u smeared some then be like Ohh ur just ugly.

Ok, i understand that she probably shouldn't have cried, in every one opinion, but do any of you have a birthmark that covers half your face? Because i do. Some days it's just too much. Here are some of the things people would say to me : " Your face is dirty." me"No it's not" them" YES IT IS!!" me " No , I was born this way." them" No, it's dirt"..... Kids thought i was a scary monster, i got called Oreo,cow, two face ,twisty etc... It is TERRIBLE to be reminded on a daily basis that you don't look like the rest of the world. So yes, while it may have been a mistake on the posters part, please don't bash the girl for being upset. I'm 25, have had 2 surgeries to try and remove my birthmark. It's still there. I still get comments. And sometimes, sometimes i still cry. Maybe she, like me, was just having a bad day.

CheshireHalli 19

I'm sorry those people said those things to you. :( But there's a difference between the things said to you and what the OP said. They were trying to hurt you, but the OP was not trying to hurt at all, she simply really thought that the girl had smudged her lipstick. The girl really should not have went off and cried for half an hour like that, especially because it wasn't even intended to be mean at all.

My boyfriend has a birthmark covering almost half of his face. He can't even go out in public without people staring at him and when we go to parties guys will try to fight him out of nowhere. People don't understand how scary it is being around lots of people when everyone is staring.

I feel ya, I have the same deal. I'd rather people ask what it is than point it out as a fact.