By Anonymous - 06/08/2009 06:13 - Australia

Today, I had to call poison control because my idiot son swallowed a bunch of baking soda to "make a volcano in his tummy." FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 388
You deserved it 17 295

Same thing different taste

Top comments

DirtyDiana_fml 0

woah only 1 comment? but idiot is harsh.

Comments

wow, your son's life if messed up for having such a harsh, out-of-touch-with-the-reality-of-having-a-child mother. Your son sounds like your average adventurous kid. That doesn't make him an idiot. Kids lean by doing and from their mistakes. Despite the trouble I'd rather have a child like that than a lethargic little loner playing computer games all day long. If this was the 10th time he swallowed baking soda, we could talk. But once? what is wrong with YOU?

#11 and those " lethargic little loner " end up getting good education, good jobs. not likes those "adventurous seeking" kids which end up being cool ending school asap and then being either job less or working for those "lethargic litter loners"

Are you serious? Lethargic loner kids get good jobs and adventurous kids drop out of school? Lethargic loners are probably 10 times more likely to grow up with a skewed sense of reality, not understanding how the real world works as opposed to their video games, and are also more likely to be violent. The fact that this kid, at a young age, understands, to an extent, what baking soda will do when mixed with certain things shows that he's not only a relatively normal kid for eating something he shouldn't, cause we've all done it, but also that he's relatively intelligent, and will probably grow up to be the forensic scientist going through the evidence when a lethargic loner kid shoots up his school, like he would in a video game. To the OP, you're pathetic. Stop calling your son an idiot, and stop thinking your life is ****** because your child did something that every child in the world does. Oh noes!

that's bullshit, "lethargic little loners" are not automatically prone to be successful. some are, some will stay lethargic and boring and never get anything done. why should adventurous kids be unsuccessful per se? it can as well mean that they are creative, curious and open to learn new thing. I was a really adventurous child but at the same time I never had any troubles in school.

palmtrees 1

You guys do realize there are middle grounds between sitting around doing nothing but playing video games and getting into trouble by eating things that aren't meant to be consumed, right? Some kids read, play outside, play sports (even as young as 4 or 5), instead of doing either one...

Can we please not sterotype? I am sorry, but I just don't feel I should seen as a violent, immature thug because of what I enjoy and keep myself occupied with: video games. I have no intention on starting violence, and I, for one, normally sort out the fights by word and logical speach aimed towards the combatants, who yes, normally, have never touched a video game in their life. More that they are the adventurous ones and they are the ones that are 'cool'. I am not saying everyone is like me, and I'm not saying that everyone that's 'cool' is an moronic thug, I just don't want everyone to sterotype me (and others), because of what I and what others do . . . And finally, to the original poster: It's his fault if he gets the experience-but what is life with no experience? When it is a void of new things to try out? I bet you had your adventurous moments when you were a young girl; why treat your son differently? He was/is just testing things, and I see you as a quite arrogant woman. And your life is certainly NOT ******.

Not to mention it's the adventurous types that go out and start businesses so that the video game players can have somewhere to work.

.. Just because you're adventurous doesn't ******* make you 'cool'. I love science, being outside, all that jazz. I want to go to college to be some sort of wildlife ranger. It's HEALTHY to be out rather than ******* playing video games, so shut the **** up. It's healthy to have social interaction as opposed to playing video games all ******* day. I wouldn't consider myself as anyone cool, thank you. I do like video games, also. But if I'm given the choice between a game or being outside? Damn ******* straight I'd be outside.

#64 I speak from experience. It's what you get when you grow up and move out of Mommy's house.

@Kervik: sorry, but I didn't stereotype. When I said "Lethargic little loners playing video games all day long", I mean "lethargic little loners playing video games all day long". Following all laws of logic, that doesn't mean that everybody who plays video games is a "lethargic little loner" or does so "all day long". Althoug if the latter were the case, I'd have to say "suck it up". If you actually play "all day long", you miss what is generally knowns as "real life". And yes, I would say that to someone watching tv or reading books the same amount of time as well. So please drop the victim attitude. Nobody here's on your case :)

I enjoy playing video games, and I often play them for the whole day, and I have never gotten the urge to hurt anyone, much less shoot up my school. Video games don't cause children to be violent, thats what the media would like you to think, and unfortunately they often succeed. It isn't healthy to spend every day playing video games, but neither is it healthy to sit children as young as five in a row of desks for six hours a day, for twelve years or more of their life. If anything, I think it is good to play video games, as it can relieve frustration and stress, and many online video games are more social than you'd think. To the OP: I wouldn't be so harsh to the kid, but talk to him calmly about the dangers of eating things that might be inedible, otherwise he might try some other experiment that could be deadly.

@ drkwlf... Just a question... why are you on this site, then? Are you not allowed outside right now? And if you'd honestly rather be outside than play any video game, at any point, EVER... when would you ever play a video game? During violent storms? I'm a social gamer, myself. Best of both worlds!

Did I even say at any point, EVER? No, actually, I didn't. I can't be outside all day, as y'know, I have other things to do. Like a job. Oh and yeah, I have kids so I can't exactly be outside all the time now can I? Sure I can take them outside during the day, but when they're asleep I can't just be like "Yeah okay I'm going to leave you here and go play outside." I mean, I don't know about you but I think that'd be called bad parenting.

"But if I'm given the choice between a game or being outside? Damn ******* straight I'd be outside." Just wondering how you ever play video games.

waterynuggets 0

F his life majorly, unless this is fake.

Sounds more to me like some idiot parent left their child unattended long enough to ingest a substance that could harm him. I give an FYL to the kid for being raised by a slacker who degrades him for her negligence....

Damn straight. No reason to say "my idiot son" no matter what the age. F your son's life. I honestly feel bad for him.

The kid could do that in a minute or two, idiot. I don't think it's usual to bring your kid into the bathroom with you. As soon as the OP left the kid could have pulled open the fridge and grabbed the baking soda and eaten it. Then the OP would walk out and see her son's hands covered in baking soda with the baking soda out. Though she should have told him not to eat it.

some genes he got...¬_¬ it seems like you didn't want to have him...i wonder why...

Heh. Enough alcohol can make a volcano in anyone's tummy. Maybe you learned this while you were preggos with the kid.

YDI for calling ur son an idiot and, btw, nothing would happen, as long as he's a healthy kid (?) a little bit of metabolic disturbance will not harm him.

cucumberfabulous 7

WHAT.....is so wrong about calling your children idiots? My dad & mum call my brothers and I that all the time when we do something stupid..

RE122 0

i think the difference is that you're old enough to get on FML and post a comment, and this kid is still saying "tummy." you just don't call children "idiots" because they make a mistake. (assuming he's relatively young, of course)

Kiki_2_u 0

Wow you sound just like my mother. Be nicer to your child. And you know what they say about apples and trees. If he's an idiot, what are you?

supersuperkid 0

Depends, how old is your son? I mean, if he was 8 or something, cut him some slack. If he was 19 or whatever, then yeah, that sucks.

How can you call a child an idiot? If anything your the "idiot" for havnt a kid you tramp. I dont get who this is even a Fml, if anything is should say Today, i relised that the kid i had due to having sex with 3 men at a party tryed to down baking soda because he wanted to "make a volcano in his tummy."FML