By young and dumb - 27/08/2016 06:27 - United States - Trenton

Today, I got married to the man I love even though my whole family told me not to marry him. He got into a drunken fight at our wedding and is now in jail. He apparently won't be getting out any time soon due to charges I didn't know about. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 707
You deserved it 3 268

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well good news is, since he got drunk enough on your special day, to be put in jail before you consummated your marriage, you could probably get it annulled quite easily... If he's lied to you about his legal troubles before he's probably not gonna stop any time soon OP. Best of luck to you.

I guess your family had a pretty valid reason for you not to marry him

Comments

New Jersey. His charges are probably for failing to show up at court - because of a jaywalking ticket. He didn't show because he was being cited outside the courthouse for jaywalking from the parking lot. 3 to 5 years.

Well you have two options, and in no particular order, you can have the marriage annulled, or you can work things out. If you want to work things out, it will probably be a long task, depending on the charges and his willingness to cooperate (if he isn't willing to do his part leave.) it will probably involve possible bail, maybe jail time or in severe cases, prison, court dates for sure, lawyers and if a suspended sentence, probable community service. It is a daunting task, and even if you decide to get an annulment, you should talk to your husband and see if there are things you can do to get him on the right track.

I feel your pain. I'm in Canada and my husband got deported back to the US for charges I didn't know about. Divorce impending, but he knocked me up first.

all this talk about annulment.... they aren't even legally married until she turns in the signed marriage license.

I also got married to a guy everyone told me not to marry. A little over a year later he had gotten two girls pregnant (one underage), gave me an STD, and then stabbed me 8 times. Get that annulled NOW, I don't want to see anyone go through something like what happened to me.

Twisted_Angel 17

Sweet mother of Pearl... I hope you left him...

Talis99 26

Should have listened, I guess. Annulment might still be valid. I'd consider it, if I were you.

I'm curious, what kind of charges does he have? I mean, it could theoretically be a relatively minor offense combined with crossing state lines. It could also be from getting screwed by dumb laws (for example, if you're caught urinating in public 3 times, you have to register as a sex offender).

If one person in your family doesn't like your significant other, they may be overreacting. If your ENTIRE family doesn't like him there's a very very good chance something is wrong with your s.o. Most families want what's best for their kids/siblings and it's a good idea to listen to them.* Sorry this happened. Hopefully you can work things out. *Yeah, I know some people have sucky families, but not everyone.

One word..... annulment..... I have done my good deed for the day.