By Anonymous - 30/09/2015 10:18 - United Kingdom - Southam

Today, I got called a "politically correct loser" by a woman at the supermarket, all because I said I didn't want to find out the gender of my baby until birth. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 256
You deserved it 2 122

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

annas3 10

how does that make you politically correct or a loser?

I didn't find out with either of my kids. It's no ones business. Some people are just so rude

There is nothing wrong with waiting and having it as a surprise upon birth. Besides, it's absolutely none of her business. Just keep your head held high and ignore the nosy people

Should have just said that you weren't pregnant. That would have shut her up.

The politically correct comment was probably due to the incorrect use of gender. You should have said sex instead. Gender is how you identify yourself (boy/girl). Sex is your genital make up (male/female)

Incoming morons who think there are more than 2 genders (not birth defects)

But then she would be incorrect because she said "gender" instead of "sex"...

dafluckster 6

Gender and sex are the same. When you put it this way I nearly agree with the crazy supermarket lady...

No, sex is determined by chromosomes and the shape of your body, gender has to do with the mind and culture. People refer to a whole bunch of concepts by the word "gender" and get in frustrating semantic arguments over it. But options of meanings include 1) presence or absence of sex dysphoria (body dysphoria in regard to your sex characteristics) 2) the system wherein biological females are socialized into femininity and biological males are socialized into masculinity (masculinity and femininity being social constructs) resulting in a class system where males are dominant and females are submissive 3) whether you "identify with" masculinity or femininity.

In an every day kind of context people do use gender and sex interchangeably, but there is a difference. Normally this difference doesn't come up in people's lives because most people are cisgender so their gender is the same as their sex. It is good to think about, though, because it might be rare, but you never know if your child is going to turn out to be transgender or gender non-conforming/gender fluid. In any case, people should raise their kids to understand that gender is a social concept and that they can be as masculine or feminine as they want no matter what their sex is :)

It's obvious what OP meant, who cares if they said sex or gender?

A lot of people, especially until recently, use gender as a less "harsh"/or scientific way to say sex. Obviously. You're the one trying to be too PC.

I had a friend once tell me it was irresponsible to not find out the gender of the baby before it was born because otherwise I wouldn't know whether to paint the room blue or pink and buy girl's or boy's toys. When I pointed out that babies are basically "gender neutral" when they are young and you care for a boy and girl baby the same way she was horrified and said the same thing OP was told.

#37 WTF? that woman should not have been allowed to procreate. while i think women have the right to get an abortion, this woman clearly wanted a baby-preparing for its arrival, painting the room-but she only wanted the one she was preparing for. #dumncunt

Political correctness is stupid, but that makes no sense

ViviMage 38

Last I checked, this is your baby, your body, and your choice on the big decision. Hugs and good vibes to a heathly baby!

Don't forget the dad. In a healthy relationship it's a joint decision

What does that even have to do with being politically correct?

Because people believe firmly in things being 'girl things/colors' and 'boy things/colors' and flip out if you don't go along with it and say it's 'politically correct nonsense' or something along he lines. Basically she assumed since op wasn't going to find out the gender that she was against the whole 'this is for boys' and 'this is for girls' mentality.