By Anonymous - 03/11/2015 17:54 - United States

Spicy
Today, I found out that aside from being savagely overworked and treated like shit for zero pay, another one of my responsibilities as an intern is to take the blame for my boss accidentally posting a link to a porn site on the company's Twitter account. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 200
You deserved it 1 824

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Do NOT take the blame. If you need, video document what's going on as proof, or continue to document what happens next as further evidence that you were not involved. If I were you I would cease the internship as soon as possible. Report him ASAP and try and find colleagues who will back your story.

Comments

Do NOT take the blame. If you need, video document what's going on as proof, or continue to document what happens next as further evidence that you were not involved. If I were you I would cease the internship as soon as possible. Report him ASAP and try and find colleagues who will back your story.

Much as I'd like to agree to this, in the united states laws regarding internships allow for the company to fire an intern with absolutely no reason of any kind. This means the bosses can set ridiculous tasks or do shit like this and then fire the intern if the intern talks about it. Even if the boss is found guilty many companies have a policy about not re-hiring fired workers, even interns. So if the OP says nothing he's ******. If he talks up he's ****** anyway.

Yeah, I gotcha, that's why I said he should cease the internship as soon as possible, just quit altogether, because, in my mind at least, the quicker he gets away, the less affiliation he has with the company and the affair if the boss does go under fire for it.

Then I'd say speak out and defend yourself if both situations are shit. At least leave with your head held high knowing that you did what you could to defend yourself.

#15 better getting ****** for saying the truth than getting ****** for something that you had nothing to do. Don't you agree?

He should go to someone higher up than his boss, tell them exactly what happened and then quit. The only real reason to lie about it if you did it would be to keep the internship, if he quits anyway they're more likely to believe him and he might still get a good reference. It sounds like if he stays he's screwed, he'll still be treated like shit and he won't get a good reference if he's blamed for all his bosses mistakes.

As nice as all of this may seem that's not what future employers are gonna see. They only read the first line or so of a previous employment record. So OPs record would read like this to them: Status: employee terminated employment of their own accord. Reason: boss accused employee of posting link to adult site on company twitter And that's all they'll bother to read. So if he quits he's screwed and if he stays he's screwed. Nothing the OP does will end up with them being better off than any other option.

If I'm an employer and someone shows up with that employment record, damn right I wanna hear the whole story haha Believe me, Business graduate/professional here.

You're one of the few #59. Most hiring managers go through hundreds, maybe even thousands, of records a day. they only care about those first 2 lines and that's all they ever read. Just like the first page of a resume is the most important (and for the same reason).

Doubtful, #70. In my personal experience, he has better chances if he report the boss and then quit.

And I've actually been a hiring manager. I can say that any hiring manager who gives enough of a damn to read an entire file hasn't worked as a hiring manager for very long.

UhHuhHoney 20

Dude **** that. Make it clear that wasn't your fault. Talk to HR about it.

You should most likely contact another individual who can help you put the blame where it needs to be. Keep your head up, bud! There are crooked individuals out there for themselves!

If you are not able to rid yourself of the blame, then you should quit. Otherwise that could follow your career for a long time.

Don't take blame! Tell someone higher up or get your boss to confess. Don't take the downfall for something you didn't do op!

That's outrageous, dodgy boss and dodgy company. I hope you find a better place OP.

the real world isn't a show on MTV, it's big and nasty like a stripper past her prime

If something is broken, you fix it. Saying "Oh well that's <x>" is the pinnacle of stagnation.

Remind me of never working anywhere close to you. Thanks in advance.

Wow, I wonder if that was even really an accident. In any case, please don't allow yourself to be shat on like this.