By Goodie - 09/09/2009 04:13 - United States

Today, I found out my ex bought a digital camera, an iPod, and a large flat-screen TV, all purchased with the alimony I'm paying him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 764
You deserved it 7 768

Same thing different taste

Top comments

People do marry people they want to stay with forever. But then real life happens, circumstances and people change, and it can become impossible to be together without being miserable. Check your judgemental, ignorant, uninformed attitude, dude. Let people handle their own affairs without being sneered at.

#2 and #13, the point of alimony is that you give money because they need it. If he's buying things that aren't necessities, then it looks like she's just losing that much money.

Comments

Where have I heard this before?? Oh wait, it was two's comment..

Havent you seen Two and a half men? Alimony is a bitch. And isn't alimony supposed to be for the kid(s)?

freddie_fml 0

No. Child support is for the kids. Alimony goes to the ex-spouse.

maybe she has no iPod and no flat screen TV and can't afford it.

You know that if you can prove that in court you won't have to pay him anymore right...?

WRONG. After she gives him the money it becomes his money and he can spend it any way he wants. Your EX doesn't NOT get to decide how you spend alimony.

That only applies to child support. Alimony can be spent in any way the receiver wishes.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I bet you'd be bitching about this is the sexes were swapped. She isn't responsible for what other women do, Really what you are saying is that you don't care about the law, you just don't like women.

brilliantbarbie 0

Hi, excuse me...."Women have been doing it for decades"...doing what?? Expecting to live the lives they were accustomed to during a marriage??? Or maybe its that the've been having babies and raising them for decades....maybe its because some women give up their careers and educations to be stay at home wives/mothers. Way to be one minded and completely rediculous.... not for nothing, when was the last time YOU had a child, and I understand there is a difference between child support and alimony, but assuming all women who have collected it are just lazy people who sit on their asses is a little absurd.

I know, it's so sweet! I can't wait for this to go further! Men should get the same poor treatment women have, and in time, they'll be shamed for having disgusting bodies, seen as property to exchange during marriage, and unable to vote or be considered autonomous people. Forget about decades, unequal treatment like this has been around for centuries! It's SWEET!

It's none of your business what he spends his money on. After you pay him it's HIS MONEY not yours so YDI for whining about it.

They were gifts for your sister. She earned them after all. ;)

I was getting all angry and caught up with the usual judgemental, spiteful comments on this thread, then I got to this comment and spat sushi over my laptop. You just made the internet better again, thankyou. Please to be sending keyboard-vacuum.

plexico, you are my hero. :D but yeah, quitchyerbitchin'. its his money now.

It's his money now, so seriously, who cares. He can spend it on whatever he wants.

I think it breaks the spirit of an Alimony agreement, but yeah.

I honestly can't ssay if its a FYL or a YDI as you didn't state why he receives said alimony. What I CAN say is that now you might realise why so many guys complain about the alimony, not that it sucks any less but...

Don't be in such a desperate hurry to marry a jerk next time.