By advanced history teacher - 27/04/2015 04:58 - United States - Phoenix

Today, I asked my class to name some West African countries. Several of them thought Ebola was a country. I teach an AP history class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 336
You deserved it 4 116

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nityasomaiya 46

I'm wondering what they thought the disease was....

Comments

You're at the end of the school year, don't you think this is your failing as much, if not more, than theirs?

TheBlazinAsian 9

It's an advanced placement (ap) class. It's for students who've reached the educational capability to enroll in a university class during high school. You'd think that simple geography wouldn't be something that the teacher has to review that much. Hell, if AP is so easy I can get away with answering basic geography wrong, then sign me up!

Honestly as someone who took three different AP History classes, the only reason I know West African geography is because of French class :/ and my mom has a masters in African Fine Art. But I can't say it came up at any other point in my education.

Delete this FML sir. What will the upcoming kids say?

graveprotecter 18

It's almost definite that they were just messing with you, with all of the news coverage there is no way they could have heard of it and still thought it was a country

Is Cameroon a western country? Cause that's what I would've said

Is the school in a big city like New York or Chicago? That would explain it completely...

Considering the teacher is in Arizona, I somehow doubt the school is in New York... But hey, I could be wrong. Maybe OP just has to travel a bit to get to work.

... Well it's a river in the Democratic Republic of Congo.. They had the right idea..

Badkarma4u 17

It was called Zaire when the virus was discovered.

Aye they had the right idea. A for effort.