By anonymous - 20/04/2016 03:09 - United States - Saint Paul

Today, I asked a short girl to prom by making a "You must be this tall to say no" sign. She grabbed a chair, stood on it, and then said no. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 880
You deserved it 30 376

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Looks like your plan fell a little short of the mark

Comments

ABlindMan 17

You're supposed to ASK her to prom, not essentially bully her into saying yes. Of course not physically forcing her, but with that way of asking you don't really give her any chance to say no.

JohnTheDonJuan 11

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's not because she didn't HAVE the option - she did. It's because he gave her no option to answer his question.

I think they're more saying that OP didn't give her the option to say no, so she created herself the option, by making herself taller. You're right, OP isn't God and she could've easily flat out said no, but it's more that his sign didn't give her the option

udaykataria 18

YDI. That was rude and insensitive. People can be very self-conscious about their height.

elizacandle 29

totally deserved it. the hottest thing anyone can have is choice and you attempted to take hers away. even if I was slightly interested in someone I'd be turned off by something like this.

If my long term bf said that, I'd laugh and thing it's cute. If you didn't know her well... No don't do that.

these comments are so full of short puns, I thought I'd leave a long one.

It was a long shot but you still came up short.

BabyCakes818 16

Yeah... Always got to be careful with the short jokes. Us short people have jokes of our own.

YDI. Most short people hate jokes about their height.

I don't know many short people that are sensitive about their height. I'm not even 5 feet and I enjoy a good laugh about my height because I have a sense of humor. I think it's more that he tried leaving her without the option of saying no.

#61 I think a short person can have a sense of humor, but still be offended by it. It all depends on what that particular person is sensitive about. If the sign said something like "flat-chested girls aren't allowed to say no" or "overweight girls aren't allowed to say no," sure some girls might have found it funny, but others wouldn't. I know many short people who hate those jokes, and others who are chill, but they're all pretty humorous people. I think if they are friends who joke about it a lot, then OP's actions were normal (which I'm guessing is the case, since she kinda joked back with him). But if they weren't then this was just unwise, because he has no idea whether the girl is self-conscious about it.

I personally used to be offended when someone made a light hearted joke about my height, because it gave the people bullying me more satisfaction (like friends making the joke made bullies see it as demeaning), so I get why people who are short get offended by short jokes, it doesn't mean they don't have a sense of humour though.

I know this guy. my brother put it on his snapchat.