Congratulations!

By Alex - 15/08/2011 04:16 - New Zealand

Today, it was my engagement party. All was going fabulously, until my fiancé's dad decided to give us a toast, and completely forgot my name in front of all my family and friends. I've been with his son for 7 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 055
You deserved it 3 126

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"To my son getting married to...what's her name again?"

FYL double: (1) He forgot your name. (after 7 years of dating his son) (2) Your Father-in-law (to be) is too stupid to improvise and refer to you as "the bride to be" or "my future daughter-in-law"

Comments

First! Wow guess you made an impression on dad!

If there was an open bar, I'd just chalk it up to all the alcohol he must be drinking. I would, if I were in his shoes!

xoconnie 8

he was just nervous. dont flatter.

"To my son getting married to...what's her name again?"

Hey, if there was an open bar, I'd just chalk it up to all the alcohol he must be drinking. I know I'd be ****** up if I were in his shoes.

tylersign 11

"Ha ha... Well... This is awkward."

yamatelle 19

Since he's so bad with names, he should have just gone with "son, you married Miss Right but remember, her first name is Always." Hell, he might have been too drunk to remember that, too.

LiLSumSum 0

it happens when you're a light weight OR he doesn't like you..at all. good luck

wow I can actually smell the awkward from over here.

juicedboi 7

Grats on getting engaged. That is all.

Everyone makes mistakes. Don't think it's on purpose.

Same thing happened to me at my son's engagement party but luckily I just substituted my pet name for her and carried on. I'm pretty sure no one even noticed my temporary memory lapse. In fact, I think I might have started a trend, because afterwards I heard several guests whispering about "Sugar ****".

kevalanwilliams 0
Eggers 2

yeah. why the eff did it take 7 years to get engaged?

sxe_beast 11

My brother has been with his girlfriend for 6 years and they have no plans for kids or marriage any time soon. I do not see the issue.

A lot of people have trouble speaking publicly. And there you go.

StopDropNRoll 11

He's just getting old. It's not that he doesn't care for you or anything.

crazychick1269 7

that could b it... or he could be nervous..... or he just doesn't care lol

Was he perhaps drunk out of his mind by any chance?

kaykay20 0

7 years and your just know getting married? Would think you would have gotten married sooner. May I ask why you two wanted so long to do so?

Some people like to ensure that the person is going to be there before they go and make it permanent. I've known people who waited 10 or 15 years! Furthermore, I know people who waited that long because their only reason for marriage was the legal benefits, as they were perfectly content with their relationship as it was. If you ask me, waiting is a smart move that ensures you won't be filing for divorce in a few years. :P

StopDropNRoll 11

You're* Now* Come on this comment is full of flaws but you got the point ^

Not to mention marriages and divorces are quite expensive.

Darling, there is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting an extended period of time for marriage. It doesn't make the relationship any more beautiful nor any more powerful. All it is, is a legal binding with a social gathering to accommodate it. There are many folks who don't get married for 10 years or more, simply because there's no need for it, or they haven't the money for the party that goes along with it. Don't judge based on the many youth of today who feel pressured to marry within a 2 year time limit. (I personally blame media for that one...)

I don't think it's any of your business,why the couple choose to wait this long before getting married

kaykay20 0

Never said anything was wrong with it just personally found it to be a long wait and if they didn't want anyone curious about it then why would they post it on here in the first place..

As you are in charge of everything they wanted your permission. But they didn't feel worthy. Sorry to interrupt you. I'll just go over here and breathe shallowly so I don't use up your oxygen.