By derbyboy - 19/10/2011 05:38 - United Kingdom

Today, at work, I misheard a customer telling me a story. To be polite, I did a slight laugh and nodded my head. She actually told me her mum had died. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 141
You deserved it 22 089

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Oops? Maybe you should pay a bit more attention at work.

Buttsexpirate 9

"She died" *Haha* "She ordered it fried? How ridiculous" *Haha*

Comments

You couldn't tell it was something bad by her facial expressions or body language

not your fault OP .. just pat a little more attention...

Happens to the best of us. Did you ask how she died? It might be funny.

dontpanic_fml 32

Any of you giving this a YDI need to take a good hard look at yourselves. I'm sorry OP, that's always so embarrassing.

I like me to, saying 20% cooler makes it 100% less.

Appologize, explain that u were not paying attention, and hug your coworker.

The coworker might find it to be an awkward and random gesture. Maybe she should hug the customer who lost their mother, but I think that would still be inappropriate.

Agreed 40. I'm gonna put my iPhone into a tub of ice

(As you read this, have a British accent in your head) "Oh hello dearie, it's been a bad day." "I'm sorry to hear that, why has it been bad." "Me mum died of cancer" "your mum tried to be a dancer -- haa haa - I bet you're really pleased." "NO, me mum died of cancer!" "Oh, then what the hell are you so happy about?" When dealing with the general public - LISTEN first - speak second.