By RIP - 15/07/2012 05:02 - United States

Today, my mom came over to me and whispered something in my ear. I didn't hear it and assumed it was a joke, so I started laughing. Turns out my aunt died. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 417
You deserved it 28 420

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks.. But you should have told her you didn't hear what she said, she would have repeated

"Laughter is the language of the soul" - Pablo Neruda Still, no harm in saying "sorry, I didn't catch that". Remember that so you don't make an ass of yourself next time OP.

Comments

That sucks.. But you should have told her you didn't hear what she said, she would have repeated

Agreed! Why would you just assume it's a joke?

Don't assume. It just makes an ass out of u and me. And it really did.

34) in your case, it makes an ass out of ewe and me. :D

Indeed it did. But maybe the OP subconsciously hated this aunt?

I would have laughed if I heard right anyway?

Well maybe OPs mom usually whispers jokes in her ears.

JulietRose 10

She whispered. There is no difference of tone when whispering..

JulietRose 10

When you whisper there is no difference in tones. Her mom was whispering.

"Laughter is the language of the soul" - Pablo Neruda Still, no harm in saying "sorry, I didn't catch that". Remember that so you don't make an ass of yourself next time OP.

OP could have said: "Sorry your hair tickled. What did you say? I didn't hear you."

That sucks OP. you had a 50/50 chance but got it wrong. Next time say "pardon, I didn't hear you".

Should've played it off by turning that laughter into crying. Nah, that'd still be messed up. Even though you did a stupid move, I'm sorry for your family's loss.

DontClickOnMe 28

Sorry for your loss, OP, but next time don't assume. Just ask her to repeat herself.

Never say dead Grammy jokes. Grammy's are awesome.

Andr913 13

They're my least favorite awards show, personally.

MindFreakazoid 10

36- Welcome to FML. Leave your personal feelings at the door.

Her aunt isl the one who died....not her grandmother :P

Ohh.. I'm sorry I thought it was grandma, I wrote that at 3 am and I haven't been getting much sleep lately.

Your_Nightmares 10

What's so hard about asking someone to repeat something? "Oh I'm sorry but I didn't hear you. Could you repeat that?"?

11- Actually, I hate asking people to repeat themselves, as it's something I find I need to do quite often, and people do get inpatient and just drop the conversation occasionally. I'm slowly, yet very noticeably, losing my ability to hear what people say to me, most everything sounds blended together if there's any background noise at all. I don't even go to the bar anymore cause I'll be surrounded by people and music, and yet feel almost completely socially isolated. :p

35- Cool retort, sis. :p Kinda feels like I'm being mocked for going deaf. Just stellar.....

You might've used facial cues to figure this one out. Or said, "excuse me? I couldn't hear you."

Is asking her to repeat "too mainstream"?

normally, douches like me would try to make a joke, but this is not laughing matter.... you should know that by now...