By Ouch - 22/05/2009 15:16 - United States

Today, as I was closing my car door, I realized I had left the keys in the ignition. Not wanting to lock myself out, I reached to stop the door from closing. Not only did I scream when the door slammed on my hand, but in my furious pain, I leaned on the door, locking my keys inside. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 431
You deserved it 13 249

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks... you must have a really old car or something, most modern cars won't lock the driver's door if the key is in the ignition.

How does that mean he got them? could have posted from mobile or got towed home...

Comments

#2 not all new cars do that. BUT most cars on the market today, can only lock while you hold the door handle in the "open" possision. all jap cars for the last 20 years, if you press the lock t hen just close the door the lock opens again to stop that happening.maybe op is driving an american car? update and get a better car lol tho my ex gf is probably reading this i will come clean to you. i locked my keys in the car while it was running cos i grabed the wrong spares from the glove box lol

I used to lock my keys in my car a lot. You don't really think about it when you turn off your car, it's just one of those automatic behaviours, and if you for whatever reason leave your keys in the ignition, lots of times you'll forget they're even in there. Or if you turn off your car and have to put down your keys to grab something, and there's a bunch of shit on your mind, and you forget you put down the keys until you lock the door and close it. Except you never realize you don't have the keys until just after the door is closed. Which sucks. It's like as soon as your hand stops making contact with the car door, the light goes off in your head lol. 12 - people can have their hands broken when they get slammed in doors ... so when you were six you would not cry if you got your hand broken? Sounds like your hands didn't really get "slammed" in the door.

ha. YDI. it should be pretty second-nature to pull the keys out of the ignition when you turn the car off.

get central locking...only way i solved this problem!

Ouch. It sounds like the person's hand was in the door when it latched, and was locked shut on their hand. To those people who laugh and said "fail", 1) people space out and do random things that aren't habits, like leaving the keys in the ignition, and 2) you obviously haven't latched a door on your hand before. It hurts like ******* hell. I have. Luckily, it wasn't locked so I was able to unlatch it with my other hand, and none of my fingers were broken, but it hurt so bad i felt nauseous and almost fainted later when i tried to move my fingers. I hope your hand healed fine!

Why the hell not just open the door instead of not let it close? YDI

yanni222 0

YDI for having a car and YDI for having a door. YDI for having keys, too.

lizzilla8297 2

"not only did I screamed"? bad grammer.

rety1 13

you didn't have the warning buzzer that most cars have?.??.. even my car from 1989 has a warning buzzer when I leave the keys in the ignition and open the door...

dmmcintyre3 8

Not only that, but most newish (my 1999 Ford does this) cars won't let you lock the door with the buttons (but if you operate the lock manually/don't have power locks, you can)

3kmtg 7